E28 steering wheel on E3?

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
I was trying to fit my favorite steering wheel on my E3 and thought it would be more straightforward. It is a stock coarse spline E28 wheel. is there a spacer that I need to remove?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was trying to fit my favorite steering wheel on my E3 and thought it would be more straightforward. It is a stock coarse spline E28 wheel. is there a spacer that I need to remove?

Not all e28 wheels are created equally. You are probably aware that BMW switched to fine spline in 85, but there are multiple course spline hubs also. You can see this with the “2005” momo hub and the C157. The splined boss that protrudes is different.

I would first check to see if you removed the steel cancellation lever from the column. Next try removing the plastic cancellation lever/horn ring from the wheel. See how things behave. If it still sits proud I don’t think you’ll be able to run the wheel. If I recall you won’t get enough thread engagement on the wheel nut. This is mostly theoretical but perhaps a decent start.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
There may be a spacer. Look on the column. My 2002 has a spacer (like a coned bushing/washer) on it. Kind of needs it when I put on E12 wheel on it.