E28 driveshaft for my E3 with a 265 Getrag

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I posted some pics yesterday comparing the driveshaft from a 5-speed E28 to the driveshaft currently in my E3 here:
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-e3-today.25126/page-2

I put it in early this morning and it was an easy process. I made a couple of adapting brackets from some 1" angle iron and bolted it up and used a later guibo. The test drive was smooth as butter, gone is the low speed shudder when you're accelerating in first gear.

The adapter:
LyGEJV3.jpg

The guibo:

GL9Jfm8.jpg

adrian

Reaction score
So a CSB requires virtually no vertical (gravity, etc) support...? Doesn't "feel" right to me (just eye-balling that set-up) but if it worked, then...good to know, thanks!

Mike Goble

Reaction score
If the driveline is straight and balanced there isn't very much leverage on the bearing. The bearing proper is in a fairly flimsy rubber outer mount, so it doesn't take much to deflect it no matter how sturdy the mount. Earlier this week I drove the 450 miles down I-5 to my son's house at speeds of 85-90 mph and it was smooth as silk.

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I saw some other posts in regards to your 3.5 motor using dcoe's. About how much power you think you're getting from that setup? I'm thinking about moving to an m30b35, but wanted to use the l-jet logs, along with l-jet electronics but with slightly updated injectors. Was back-dating the b35 ignition difficult? Was thinking it was a fairly simple job of stripping all the motronic hardware off (upper timing cover, and cam gear), then install early cam gear with the distributor drive. Or would a complete camshaft swap be needed as well?
Thanks in advance!

73tiiguy

Reaction score
Hey Mike, I saw some other posts in regards to your 3.5 motor using dcoe's. About how much power you think you're getting from that setup? I'm thinking about moving to an m30b35, but wanted to use the l-jet logs, along with l-jet electronics but with slightly updated injectors. Was back-dating the b35 ignition difficult? Was thinking it was a fairly simple job of stripping all the motronic hardware off (upper timing cover, and cam gear), then install early cam gear with the distributor drive. Or would a complete camshaft swap be needed as well?
Thanks in advance!

Ok I just figured out that all of the cams are different between carb/l-jet/motronic.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Thanks in advance!
They're DGV's with the choke wired open. I don't have a good guess on the power, it's an $80 motor that runs very well, and the torque is a significant improvement over the 3.0. On the 3.5l I used camshaft adapter nut 11311284801 along with the stock distributor drive and cover from the 3.0 and retained the stock B35 cam. I use the points to trigger an MSD ignition system, and it has worked very well for years.

73tiiguy

Reaction score
They're DGV's with the choke wired open. I don't have a good guess on the power, it's an $80 motor that runs very well, and the torque is a significant improvement over the 3.0. On the 3.5l I used camshaft adapter nut 11311284801 along with the stock distributor drive and cover from the 3.0 and retained the stock B35 cam. I use the points to trigger an MSD ignition system, and it has worked very well for years.

Thanks, I see - so the dizzy drive fits into that slot in the special nut. That's nice.
Hey, I'm just down the road in Concord if you ever have some time to meet up let me know. George