E12 engine and 5-speed box fitting please

Paul02

Reaction score
Somewhere I have read about this on here but can't find it in a search for now . Anyone care to post the link ? Many thanks Paul

Reason I ask will be fitting above shortly but was at a bodyshop today and saw an E9 with supposedly same set up but guy said engine sits at a bit of an angle as gearbox is too high for tunnel otherwise . Looked like a bit of a lash-up but I haven't done it yet so need to read up . He said he was going to have to alter the shape of the gearbox tunnel with to start with ?

Is this the norm ?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Should not be a problem. The E12 5 speed (Getrag 265) fits just fine without tunnel mods. The E12 engine, if it is a M30 (European market, so I think get got some additional engine options like 4 cylinder and diesel) it will also fit fine.

Sounds like the body guy didn't know what he was on about.

Paul02

Reaction score
Cheers Atlas ,
thats exactly what I thought . To be fair to the bodyshop guy he didn't fit the E12 engine/box just was asked to re-do the wiring because that was also a mess . I think whoever did this conversion must have made a serious error in fitting the whole thing.

Only other thing that I forgot to mention is that car was a cs auto converted to 5-speed manual so would an auto tunnel be tighter for the manual ?
Paul

Last edited:

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
paul

I did this exact conversion on my e9 2 years ago. The e12 motor and trans fit perfectly.
+1 on new motor and trans mounts. The e12 and e9 mounts interchange. New mounts are a good idea becuase clearence between the fan and the radiator is a bit closer than stock e9. I used a new e9 2 row radiator. Fatter aftermarket 3 row units may require some modification.

Good luck

Cheers

John

rb1971

Reaction score
FYI Brett at Koala Motorsports sells at least some of the correct conversion motor mounts. I have his S38/E9 mounts in my car and they work great.

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
1980 e24

I was just notified of a 1980 E24 at the local pick n pull. Still have to confirm is it has a 5spd.
If it is a 5 spd then I am good.
It should be a getrag 365 with mechanical speedo, correct?
As long as it is a US version then the trans will be a 5spd overdrive.
If it is Euro version then I am looking at a close ratio.
If all of the above is correct then I may investigate further about getting it.
They said $170 if I pull it.

Paul02

Reaction score
Cheers Fellas , SF Don you say make sure the motor mounts are correct . Which ones will work best , E9 or E12 ? are they the same ?
Paul

Paul02

Reaction score
Cheers Don
I know you are trying to help me here but I must be missing something .

The posts say " make sure you get the right mounts " but the the cross reference says they are the same part no. So either will do ? in which case how could any the mounts I have be the wrong mounts if they are from E9 or E12.

Either way I now know that all the mounts I have are correct .

Paul