Drivers Door Window Sticks

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an issue with drivers side door window sticking in the raised position on my 1972 coupe (sardine can window motors.) When this happens the white plastic toothed sleeve at the motor must be rotated by hand, when I turn the sleeve by hand I feel it break loose. This happens when the window is fully raised.

As I recall there is an adjustable rubber stop surrounded by a coil spring. The rubber stop is very soft, I think this stop is NLA. This also happens on one of the rear windows occasionally, any suggestions?
And by the way is any one on this board going to V@V this year?

Thanks, Doug

jmackro

Reaction score
I doubt the stop has anything to do with your problem. Unless you are saying that the stop is now too short, allowing the window to raise too high, resulting in it jamming. If that is the case, it is easy to fabricate a new stop using a 6mm bolt of appropriate length with a rubber tip stuck over its hex head.

A more likely cause is that your window switches and associated wiring have enough resistance to not deliver sufficient current to the motor . And/or the grease in your window's front channel has turned to the consistency of peanut butter (crunchy, not creamy). Cleaning up the connections and channel is the fix.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The rubber stop could be among the contributing factors to the stiff window. I replaced mine (still available a few years ago) because the old soft rubber bulged when pressed against the stop. The side of the bulge then pressed up against the gear wheel possibly creating unnecessary resistance in wheel movement.