Driver and passenger seat frame

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a difference between the two front seat frames? I understand some of the components are mirrored, but don't see any physical difference in the bottom frames.
IMG_20200126_165717155.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
not to my knowledge ... although i haven't seen the '74 seats in detail underneath, so that might be the only one with a difference in the frame. i know the plastic chrome 'J' pieces that are at each of the front corners are different (larger) on the '74.

quick note, looks like you are missing the cross piece that connects the two hinges, i think its part of the recline / lock mechanism. perhaps it hasn't been put back on.
2nd observation, the seat bottom is supposed to be stretched and locked in by the spikes on all sides of the frame.

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
not to my knowledge ... although i haven't seen the '74 seats in detail underneath, so that might be the only one with a difference in the frame. i know the plastic chrome 'J' pieces that are at each of the front corners are different (larger) on the '74.

quick note, looks like you are missing the cross piece that connects the two hinges, i think its part of the recline / lock mechanism. perhaps it hasn't been put back on.
2nd observation, the seat bottom is supposed to be stretched and locked in by the spikes on all sides of the frame.
Thanks for the feedback. The picture was taken midway through a rebuild and all the hardware was removed to clean/inspect/repair. New leather from World Upholstery has not been stretched and stabbed in its final home yet. :)

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a set of '74 seats, and a pair of earlier seats. There were differences in these. The seat bottom on the '74 was longer (extended further toward the knees) than the earlier seat. The backrests were the same except for the receivers for the steel posts that hold the headrests. As I recall, the '74 post diameter was 12 mm and the earlier seats had 10 mm diameter receivers. Obviously, the headrests were not interchangeable.

Gary

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had a set of '74 seats, and a pair of earlier seats. There were differences in these. The seat bottom on the '74 was longer (extended further toward the knees) than the earlier seat. The backrests were the same except for the receivers for the steel posts that hold the headrests. As I recall, the '74 post diameter was 12 mm and the earlier seats had 10 mm diameter receivers. Obviously, the headrests were not interchangeable.

Gary
Funny about the headrests, I have both in my possession and prefer the later style and wanted to convert my early car. Good memory, 10 and 12 is correct.
My original question was relating to ambidextrous wants of swapping driver and passenger parts within the same car.