Drew returns this Thursday

EJ333

Reaction score
Elon Musk used his Tesla Roadster as payload in February. How about a volunteer to bring his Coupe into space ?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can only judge by what information is publicly available, but after seeing the conditions in which you came back to earth, and after reading about the Soyuz crash Wednesday, I hope you won't decide to go back up there until something a little more confidence inspiring than the current system is put in place...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/soyuz-rocket-launch-failure-emergency-landing

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can only judge by what information is publicly available, but after seeing the conditions in which you came back to earth, and after reading about the Soyuz crash Wednesday, I hope you won't decide to go back up there until something a little more confidence inspiring than the current system is put in place...

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/soyuz-rocket-launch-failure-emergency-landing

Actually that topic makes for a very interesting discussion. What we saw Wednesday was an incredible feat of engineering on the part of the Russian space program. The manned Soyuz system has been in use, in its basic form and function, since the late 60's. Been around for as long as our Coupes. The Soyuz system is actually pretty incredible in that it does not have any "black zones" in the launch and orbital insertion profile. What that means is that any failure at any point from 30 minutes before launch, until safe orbital altitude, the vehicle and systems are designed to safely return the crew to earth. That is not to say you wont end up in the ocean or on the side of a mountain, but you will return to the surface of the earth without blowing up along the way, theoretically. On Wednesday, the vehicle performed exactly as designed from a launch abort perspective. Our colleagues are fortunate to have actually been on such a tried and true vehicle. We can only hope (as we cannot ensure) that our own new commercial crew spacecraft and Orion spacecraft, will have this same capability. In fact, the Space Shuttle did have black zones during the launch profile and we were always at risk for loss of crew and vehicle during certain phases of launch. Thanks for allowing me to provide comment on this particular topic. Purchasing seats on the Soyuz is not ideal. Furthermore, given the challenges we have seen with the last 2 vehicles that have been launched, there most certainly is a need for alternate transportation to the ISS. That said, the Soyuz system is incredible in its capability and serves as a great model for a capsule based crew transport vehicle.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My pleasure.

Also, I am happy to discuss space stuff but perhaps Dan or another admin person can move these to Off-Topic? I dont think everybody wants to talk about space stuff. But I am happy to discuss as time permits.

Drew

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My pleasure.

Also, I am happy to discuss space stuff but perhaps Dan or another admin person can move these to Off-Topic? I dont think everybody wants to talk about space stuff. But I am happy to discuss as time permits.

Drew

I don't trust anyone who doesn't want to talk about space exploration. :D Moved to OT per your suggestion. Keep the dialouge going! I believe that @Stan has a few more questions.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't trust anyone who doesn't want to talk about space exploration. :D Moved to OT per your suggestion. Keep the dialouge going! I believe that @Stan has a few more questions.
Just sent Drew 50 questions from my grandson's 2nd grade class. They just finished a month of studying space and astronauts!
They are all very excited to send letters to a real astronaut!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome back! My spleen says how come when I return from a business trip to China there are no videos nor fanfare at home? If I were an astronaut what I would fear the most is getting from Kazakhstan back home...

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Saw the ISS fly by this evening while fiddling with the sprinklers. My father had just mentioned that t was very visible right now, as is Jupiter. Anyway, the ISS is very bright, quite fast. Of course
no blinking. :D I watched it for about 90 seconds but I read that it was visible for four
minutes tonight.

Anyway thought of you @afeustel. Hope all is well!

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Saw the ISS fly by this evening while fiddling with the sprinklers. My father had just mentioned that t was very visible right now, as is Jupiter. Anyway, the ISS is very bright, quite fast. Of course
no blinking. :D I watched it for about 90 seconds but I read that it was visible for four
minutes tonight.

Anyway thought of you @afeustel. Hope all is well!
Fascinating and educational at the same time for this earth-bound mortal. Thanks, Drew

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Mark. Very cool that you got to see a fly-by. I still really enjoy watching the ISS pass overhead. Brings back some great feelings. Thanks for the continued interest and support.

Drew