Drew returns this Thursday

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too important to be in the Other section. After spending more than six months on the ISS and the last three as Commander, Drew lands in Kazakhstan this Thursday at 7:45 AM EDT. With a little help he made this video which I think needs to be shared more widely, a snippet was on his Instagram feed.

NASA
Published on Sep 30, 2018

NASA astronaut Drew Feustel teamed up with Canadian rock band The Tragically Hipto record a music video from space. Feustel launched to the International Space Station in March 2018 and is currently serving as Expedition 56 Commander. Drew's message: Thanks and recognition to the following people and organizations for helping to bring this song and video to life: Lyrics and motivation by Gord Sinclair Song Engineering and Recording by James McKenty Background Vocals by Colin McDonald and Kelly McKenty Video Post Production by Taylor Leeder and Braden Dragomir at Make Hay Media NASA Johnson Space Center for mission support and technical resources Special thanks to the crew of Expedition 55 and 56 for their support and participation in our human space exploration mission. I am ever thankful for the support of my family, friends, and colleagues…love is all around us and we are all around the world.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/
https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/andrew-j-feustel
<-- youtube video of landing. 2:00 mark is where actual video starts.

parachute3-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That flash of light when it hits is an explosive charge to soften the landing?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the Lazy-Boy chairs waiting in the field for them. Welcome home! Vodka for everyone!

MPowerE9

Reaction score
I would easily give Drew my Coupe if he allowed me to be a stowaway on one of his missions.

Glad to see the safe landing for all three men.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeez. that video was insane! Even if you know how the movie ends, it is still nerve racking to see the hydrogen peroxide, then the heat shield come off the module... and then to hear that those 6 jets will fire off just ONE METER above ground... That is nuts! Couldn't they do two or three meters, just to be safe???
But the funniest part is at the end when a bunch of local farmers looking types just go and pluck them out of there as if they were the local drunks whose truck had flipped over in the wheat fields during a wild vodka fueled hayride. You guys sure we are in the 21st century???

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello forum. I am back on earth. It was one heck of an adventure and the return was like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Nothing like the shuttle. It was violent and disorienting and really made my head spin. Hitting the ground was what it must be like to back a car into a wall at 30 mph. I am pretty much stable now after just a few days. Pt rehab for the next 45 days just to get all the muscles back to earth-normal.

Thanks to all for the interest and support.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice treat Mr. Drew- including us in your 1 in a hundred million person life.
Now-What can we do for you?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello forum. I am back on earth. It was one heck of an adventure and the return was like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Nothing like the shuttle. It was violent and disorienting and really made my head spin. Hitting the ground was what it must be like to back a car into a wall at 30 mph. I am pretty much stable now after just a few days. Pt rehab for the next 45 days just to get all the muscles back to earth-normal.

Welcome back and thanks for including us. It was special is so many ways!
Mike

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Welcome back indeed! So cool to have been able to closely follow someone who went through such an extraordinary adventure.
Since you apparently came back down in the shuttle during your first two trips, what was your reaction when they explained how it was going to come down this time around?
Are you still in Russia or will you be doing those 45 days back home?
Thank you.

Last edited:

Marco 54

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Great to have you back in one piece.

We watched your descent with fascination. The commentary suggested that just before the craft landed some jets fired to minimise the impact on landing.
From your comments it seems that their effect was inadequate?

We hope you are soon back to full fitness and thank you for providing such inspiration and encouragement to us all.

Cheers, Drew.