Door window touching the rear quarterlight outer chrome

pmansson

Reaction score
I changed the door seal on one car last week. (What a pain. How did they install these in the factory.....).

I then discovered that the bottom part of the door window hits the chrome liner on the outside of the rear quarterlight when I close the door (with the window closed). The easy remedy is to open the window 20% before closing the door, but this is not satisfactory.

Is it possible to shave off a tiny amount of the door window at the bottom rear end? What should I use? Dremel with ..... attachment??

I have tried to push back the chrome liner but this doesn´t help. If I remove it, and shave off some of the black, plastic piece, I might get it to retreat a little.

I presume that the new, slighly thicker rubber seal forces the chromes vent window post backwards slightly, but enough to push back the door window....

These handbuilt cars have lots of charme, but creates problems to us restorers 35 years later.....

Stefan

Reaction score
Hi pmansson!

I believe we are in the same boat!!
I did my door seals a few weeks ago. My left door (driver side) still closes and seals like a safe :!:

But....
my right door is a disaster. It's not aligned in any positions at all. I've tried a few adjustments, but with the following principle: When one angle is correct - the other ones are even more off position...

pmansson and for some of your other E9'ers, please add "location" in your personal profile. We are folks here from all over :D

Due to your (pmansson) last topic including weather report, I thought you was staying in south of Sweden....) :wink:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I think it is a bad idea to try to grind the glass. I think you will have a great deal of difficulty removing any glass with a big risk of possibly breaking your window. Also, I think eventually the door seal will shrink or adapt to fit the vent window frame better.

CookeD

Reaction score
Make sure the chrome piece is positioned as far rearward as it can go, as it's possible to tighten the retaining screw until it feels tight, but the chrome isn't in the correct place.

The best bet is to take the chrome back off, and try starting further rearward with installation. Also without the chrome placed completely down on the rubber gasket, but basically in place, you can gently tap rearward with a rubber mallet where the screw goes through. You just want to make sure that you don't strike hard enough to damage the rubber gasket, but still seat it back far enough to clear the window.

Just remember to take it slow and steady, and be patient with the fit.

DJSimca

Reaction score
pmansson said:
I then discovered that the bottom part of the door window hits the chrome liner on the outside of the rear quarterlight when I close the door (with the window closed). The easy remedy is to open the window 20% before closing the door, but this is not satisfactory.

Oh boy ... had the exact same problem.
Just got my car back from a repaint ... which became necessary because the paint guy couldn't match the original paint .... :x don't get me started !

Anyway, the door had been taken off for painting and when I got the car back for reassemply (which I do myself) I discovered exactly what you describe above.
In my case however I was able to fix the problem by carefully adjusting the door. When I got the car back, the door was not adjusted correctly so by lifting the door into the right position the window now clears the rear chrome by just a few millimeters :!:

Grinding the glass will not work.

Good luck :)

pmansson

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Dremel

I used the angle grinder tool to shave off about 2mm at the bottom of the rear end of the door glass (vertical shave off was about 10mm).
I could feel that the surface I worked on had been slightly "worked on " already by the glass hitting the rear chrome of the quarter light.

I agree about pushing that rear chrome rearwards. Can be done by working on the rear end of the J shaped chrome liner, allowing it to go further back. You will need to shave off a bit of the black plastic mounting piece (inside the chrome) near the front, or drill a new hole in the rear fender where it is mounted. Just tapping the end with a hammer over a piece of wood will give a mm or two, but then you brake the locking screw of the black piece.

You don´t want to go too far, as the space between the squegee and rubber glued to the quarterlight, will become too large which opens (another) hole for water to enter the car, and it looks ugly.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Fitment of chrome strip at quarter window

you have a problem beyond forciing fitment by grinding glass--whenever the chrome trim is properly positioned there is a 2-4mm space between the back edge of glass and trim--unless someone has taken the body apart and incorrectly re-assembled bits.

Sorry--Peder there is another issue going on with your front to rear door/glass/trim alignment. CookeD's reply is right on for best approach to correctly position the pieces--no new holes, screws or glass grinding should be needed for any of many fitments I have completed--careful adjustment and much patience has worked fo me as well.

pmansson

Reaction score
The problem on the particular door yesterday, was that the PO had somebody run into his front fender. This was replaced but ended up slightly too far rearwards, forcing the door to be mounted sufficiently far back to clear the fender when being opened. I have a very narrow slit fender to door. And to make the slit parallell the door is not 100% horizontal (i.e. the fender was not mounted correctly in this respect either). The top flat part of the door, above the door handle, is 2mm lower than the corresponding part of the rear wing.

This is why I have had the door glass touching the rear chrome as described.

Yes, I can take the front wing off and start all over again, but am not going to. That´s why I found the Dremel useful. I can now close the door with window entirely closed.