Door vertical seal installation

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can anyone give advice on fitting the seal that is glued to the vertical outer edge of the doors, it is about two foot long and is angled about four inches from the end?
Is there a special technique for gluing them one? Contact adhesive, I guess a high temperature version would be best.
Thanks
Charles

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Charles,

Just glued mine in to position last week and used "patex rubber glue"

First cleaned the surface with alcohol, applied the glue to both the rubber and the door, left everything to dry for 10 minutes and then put it on. Worked just perfect apart from the curve on the bottom. Think on my car the uneven surface as a result of that plastic like coating they used, before re-spraying it,
IMG_6270.JPG
was to blame. However 2 week further everything hold on just fine.

Good luck

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Philippe, or anyone who has installed this seal recently.
Thanks and great photos
I took DeQ's advice and lined them up first. The left and right sides are different, makes sense.
....180 is the left hand side and ...181 is the right hand side according to the Wand N web page.
Near the top the seal clearly has an angle in it about 150mm down, that aligns with the trim line in the door. Whilst the other end curves around to go under the car. However it seems that the curve is wrong way. Am I missing something major or just being dim?
This is the part that you mentioned did not fit so well on your car. I am wondering if there is a batch of BMW seals that are the incorrect shape. I doubt this, it am currently stuck so will sleep on it and ask the forum.
I had a look and it does not make sense to fit this seal to the other door but I am sure that there is a simple answer.

Did you glue the seal to the end of the door plate or the back of the door skin where it folds around on itself, or both? I guess both sides.

Thanks
Charles

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is a batch of BMW seals that are the incorrect shape.

I can tell you that there are many batches of different seals/rubbers that are totally incorrect for our cars..
I've replaced all rubber/seals/gaskets on my car, and some of them are just horrible, and actually totally useless. I've had to throw several high $ seals in the trash.
Most of the reproduction falls in the category "almost fits as meant to", so don't be surprised if they aren't perfect:oops:
But I've still not installed these seals in question (not sure I ever will), so can't comment much on that.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Philippe, you need the little rubber cover that fits on the door latch. it will make the door latch work better. only 1.55 euro from w+n
https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/rubber-cover-41-12-14.html
51211809735.jpg
Hi Scott,

Not sure I can follow you can clearly see on my picture that it is in position.

@Charles, I had exactly the same thoughts when first holding these rubbers against the doors. That probably explains why I couldn't get them in position perfectly. In hindsight I think I should have saved the €230 by not installing them. The turns on the bottom are already both coming loose. Looks terrible. I had two nice doors and now I'm under the impression that these stupid rubbers ruined them.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i had a bit of a time setting mine
what you have to do is use 3m weaterstrip adhesive and let it preset so to speak
them the bottom and side will stay in place
i took me three times to get it right as i used
laquer thinner to clean the first two messes and to prep the area
also wipe the rubber with it to make it pure
at the top i set the corner and let it dry then did the top
the next day

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Philippe, look at the door latch on this picture. there is the 'hook' on the right side of the latch. the little rubber cover fits on that. it helps hold the door closed without rattling ...

img_6270-jpg.44659

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ooops, you are right, i just saw it. hiding in plain sight ... i was remembering it going on the other leg of the latch. yes, Chris, it's been too long.

Last edited:

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Philippe
Did you glue them onto one side or two sides of the door frame. Which side if you only glued one side?

Fully agree, parts that are this expensive and wrong are just not acceptable. Mine were also BMW original parts, but probably reproductions.
Here is a radical thought, can you cut the bottom off each seal and use rubber solution to bond it to the seal fitted to the other door? Then glue it onto the car door?

Regards
Charles

inovermyhead

Reaction score
I’m with Philippe, I don’t see what purpose these seals serve and don’t want to mess up my freshly painted doors, it’s not going to make the car quieter or more impervious to water so what’s the point.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry my question was not clear.
If a seal has four sides, should it be attached by one side only, or two sides. It can be attached to the:
End plate of the door frame, or
To the inside edge of the door skin.
Or attached to both of these sides.

My current theory is that for it to work and help keep out water and, or wind /noise. That it needs to compressed as the door is closed. For this it needs to be attached by one side only, that being the back (inside edge) of the door skin, this way it has room to be compressed against the car and extruded outwards on both sides.
I am sure that BMW put it there for a reason, I expect that to be to keep down noise, whilst also helping keep water out. As my car is too noisey for my liking I plan to install them and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks to all for their help so far.
Charles

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Charles,

Just glued mine in to position last week and used "patex rubber glue"

First cleaned the surface with alcohol, applied the glue to both the rubber and the door, left everything to dry for 10 minutes and then put it on. Worked just perfect apart from the curve on the bottom. Think on my car the uneven surface as a result of that plastic like coating they used, before re-spraying it,View attachment 44659 was to blame. However 2 week further everything hold on just fine.

Good luck

as to the various questions, you glue only one side of the rubber profile, and yes it makes the cabin quieter, and avoids dust amd water , it protects the lock mechanism
it makes sense to install it together with the other rubber that seals the contour of the aluminium plate that is also usually missing
poor installation can lead to think this rubber is useless, unfortunately there is not a lot of pictures of this humble, expensive, yet important part
again you can use my threads with chrome and photobucked fix to help
regards