Door trim refurb

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
Hi.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can remove the rubber strip from the "top of door" trim (holds the rubber against the window, fits mounted to the metal of the door) and clean/shine the trim?

The rubber that fits into that groove is really hard to get out. I'm refitting the trim with all new seals and felt. Any solvents that people use to release the rubber?

Cheers,
M

pmansson

Reaction score
Welcome to one of many E9 head scratchers. You already know that it was the last handbuilt car that BMW produced.

Anyway, what you need to do is take a medium sized screwdriver and carefully pry the inside out, changing the position of the screwdriver at 1" intervals.
You then take a pair of pliers and pull it out. It might break (don´t worry, you want and need to replace them anyway. Available and not too expensive).
Once you have it out, clean the channel with whatever product and use a metal brush or very fine screwdriver.
Also remove and replace the felt brush which is attached with 5 special clips.

At this stage I send the metal strips/squegee holders off for a rechroming. If yours are fine to use as is, all the better.

Then comes the next trick; inserting the new squegee. This calls for clean channels, silicone spray and a pair of flat end pliers. You will need to not just pull at one end, but helpa along in the middle sections as well.
Once you have it in place, you lightly tap the inside with a small hammer.

DON´T cut the ends where excessive rubber will protrude, as this will, over the next 6 months, retreat towards the middle (having been stretched by pulling with the pliers).

Also use new fasteners for the strip to the door. Your felt liner fasteners might be good enough to reuse, or are they 100% bitten by rust???

Perhaps other forum members have more or different tips to this particular task on these lovely cars....

SHIMBIMMER

Reaction score
That worked!

I got to that conclusion on my own - but was happy to see the method. didn't require as much "prying" as I thought. trim is now being refurbished, have all new rubber and felt pieces. I'm ready to rock. Thank you.