Door glass hitting the rear outside chrome liner along the outside of the quarterligh

pmansson

Reaction score
Putting the parts back after a complete respray is going OK. Takes time to get it all perfect.
On a couple of cars I have the issue of the door window (at the top/closed position) hitting the front end of the J shaped chrome liner (with riveted squegee and NLA felt part) of the rear quarterlight.
I would like to shave off a few mm at that low part of the door window where it hits the chrome when closing the door (with a fully raised window). I don´t know if the glass likes the rotating head of a Dremel cutting into it....).

Next option is to shave off a bit of the black positioning piece inside the J shaped chrome liner, so that it will allow the chrome part to be knocked further back.....(yes, I could drill a second hole in the body, further back, to allow a different mounting position of the black part).

Any other suggestions.....??

The door glass has a new U-felt part in the vent window rail. I doubt that it pushes the glass rearward that much. Other than this, I can´t see how the door glass can be pushed forward to avoid the knock on the quarter light chrome.

The easy way is to close the door with the door glass down a bit, but this only works when I´m inside the car.....When driving off, I can raise the glass fully (and not forget to open it slightly before opening the door.......

JohnHein

Reaction score
Currently living in Houston North suburbs
I had an Audi TT convertible that automatically managed the windows - down slightly when was door unlocked and up when door closed. Nice to to not have to think about it. BTW: what did you use to reattach the chrome trim to the top of the windows?

pmansson

Reaction score
Several modern cars have that feature. I apply it manually when inside, and don´t leave my car parked outside when it rains, so not too big an issue BUT they didn´t leave the factory with that particular problem (although they left the factory with many other small issues).

I have a black glue/bodywork paste from a German supplier called Berner. Apply inside the alu U profile, wait a bit and press on the glass. Hold a while and cut off the surplus with a razor blade. It holds fairly well, but doesn´t like when fingers push it upwards, while helping the window the last inch.....Imagine that on a modern car !!!!
(but then: no modern car is as beautiful as our dear old coupes).

jmackro

Reaction score
On a couple of cars I have the issue of the door window (at the top/closed position) hitting the front end of the J shaped chrome liner (with riveted squegee and NLA felt part) of the rear quarterlight.
I would like to shave off a few mm at that low part of the door window where it hits the chrome when closing the door

I think I understand what you are describing: the lower back edge of the door glass interferes with the chrome trim behind it when the glass is all the way up, and you attempt to close the door. Right?

When I was reassembling my coupe after a re-paint, I too encountered interference in this area. I knew the same parts had all fit before they were disassembled, so I decided that they could fit again - somehow. After spending countless hours readjusting the fit of the door, the quarterlight, the rear glass channel, and the chrome trim behind the door, I finally got clearance. It can be done!

I have seen coupes with the glass ground out in this area. I guess it's a "brute force" solution that is guaranteed to work, but to me, it looks all wrong.

Last edited:

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks,
you nailed the issue I have. I used a Dremel this afternoon with good results....
Can´t tell unless you are an E9 expert.

You mentioned the rear window channel...
My door glass seems to wobble back and forth somewhat when going up and down.
How tight can I mount that black, 60 degree rear channel without it hampering the operation???

I have gotten the parallell issue sorted out, between door glass and quarterlight.
Also the even overlap of the door glass on the quarter light.

Slowly getting there....