DJETRONIC BAD START WHEN WARM

Maocevallos

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a problem with my e3 3.0si 1971 d'jetronic. We have repaired the entire engine, and completely restored the car. But....
Starts cold perfectly, does not consume too much gasoline, not smoke....
when i turn off the car being warm, does not want to start. I have to wait at least 5 minutes for it to restart. And works again.
I have driven the car 10 km yesterday without problems, I only have that symptom, we have already checked the sensors individually, injectors, cables, etc. Any ideas?

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
D-jet is notorious for this issue, especially in the mercedes motors. 95% of the time, it's the block temp sensor.
the other 5% of the time, it's a mixture of things, like a bad fuel pressure regulator and minor vapor lock in the fuel system. the way to tell is when its hot and wont start, re-prime the fuel system to get the vaporized fuel pushed through but turning your key to the run position to get the fuel pump to run, then off, then on again, then off, then start.
but... more likely, it's your block temp sensor.
https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetfund.htm

Maocevallos

Reaction score
D-jet is notorious for this issue, especially in the mercedes motors. 95% of the time, it's the block temp sensor.
the other 5% of the time, it's a mixture of things, like a bad fuel pressure regulator and minor vapor lock in the fuel system. the way to tell is when its hot and wont start, re-prime the fuel system to get the vaporized fuel pushed through but turning your key to the run position to get the fuel pump to run, then off, then on again, then off, then start.
but... more likely, it's your block temp sensor.
https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetfund.htm
Thank you for your help. We already check temperature sensor and it is working properly, we already check distributor, injectors, druck, fuel regulator, etc etc etc. . The problem persists. It does not always happen, sometimes the car turns when warm. Does anyone have any other ideas that can be? it is not vapor lock in rail system or fuel system because the car receives enough gas. We don't have spark to start ignition when warm. Th engine is flood

Last edited:

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
an educated guess: The condenser in your distributor could be the issue. it's a capacitor, when it starts failing, heat can definitely affect how it works.