Discovery on the underside of my engine air cleaner housing

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Today was the last day of a trip back to the U.K. to see my parents, in whose garage my 69 2800CS slumbers under a cover - so of course I wasted no time in whipping the cover off, whacking the battery on and starting the old girl up once I’d whipped the plugs out and popped a slug of oil down the bores!

Whilst doing this I removed the air filter housing and discovered there is something electrically powered (two male spade connectors with no corresponding lost-looking wires anywhere in sight) set flush into the housing. Apologies for not taking a picture, but from this description I wondered whether anyone could enlighten me as to what this could be? I already have a vacuum connection for the cold / warm air intake, is this a heating element for that?

It may not be the correct housing for the car, as although it clearly wears the original factory paint, it’s not in that grey / green shade I’ve seen on all other carburettored cars....

Thoughts?!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I had to guess it is a temperature controlled solenoid that diverts air away from the cold air duct. There is a hidden warm air duct that connects to the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. I don’t know anything about it and for some reason I didn’t realize that it was electric.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes but it's not electrically controlled, expands with heat. Please post pics.

Oops sorry my previous post was an attempt to correct myself with the manual reference.. I meant I wasn’t crazy in thinking that it isnt electrical.

dj_efk

Reaction score
See the top of this pic. Note that is not a pic of my housing, which is black - but it is otherwise identical to the one I have.

I’ve had a suggestion it could be from an E3?

Attachments

• 1283BBFF-DDC3-4329-A448-31EEE03D834F.png
    1283BBFF-DDC3-4329-A448-31EEE03D834F.png
    790.2 KB · Views: 171

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E3 and E9 air cleaners are identical and came in early and late versions. The early version has a 60mm fresh air opening and a rubber plug above the thermo valve. The later version is 70mm and there is no rubber access plug. The preheat hose from the exhaust cover also changed from 50mm to 60mm.

stphers

Reaction score
It is a thermo switch which works with carbs that have the heat sensitive bypass system ( this system takes the place of the stepped system in the choke housing ) There are a number of bits that go with this system There is also a temp controlled vacuum switch in the thermometer splitter housing and a thermo time valve that sits between the intakes . If I remember right, this was only on early cars , 2500, 2800 and early 2800 Bavs If you don't have all the other " stuff " don't worry about it, probably has had the air cleaner housing replaced at one tine and yours is black which indicates early cars 2800 and 2500 There is quite a bit of info on the system in the blue books. I have only seen one in my time ( thank you ) like early emissions control, a lot of crap that really didn't do that great a job

dj_efk

Reaction score
Thanks @ stphers, as my car is an early one I’m wondering if this is in fact the correct figment in that case.

I’m not sure where you mean by thermometer splitter housing, could you elaborate? Also same goes for “between the intakes” when describing the thermo time valve?

Perhaps if there existed a diagram of the system all would become clear!

stphers

Reaction score
Yes there is as I said in my earlier post, there is quite a bit of info in the Repair Manual in section 13 11 065 is where it starts Checking heat sensitive bypass starting device It goes on to tell you how to check all the components and where they are. The thermostat splitter housing is what I call it sorry, it is the housing where the eng temp switch sits where the top rad hose connects to.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is a thermo switch which works with carbs that have the heat sensitive bypass system ( this system takes the place of the stepped system in the choke housing ) There are a number of bits that go with this system There is also a temp controlled vacuum switch in the thermometer splitter housing and a thermo time valve that sits between the intakes . If I remember right, this was only on early cars , 2500, 2800 and early 2800 Bavs If you don't have all the other " stuff " don't worry about it, probably has had the air cleaner housing replaced at one tine and yours is black which indicates early cars 2800 and 2500 There is quite a bit of info on the system in the blue books. I have only seen one in my time ( thank you ) like early emissions control, a lot of crap that really didn't do that great a job

Is this a feature on 74 coupes only? Early cars never had this and our 2800 doesn’t have it. The early housing has the rubber plug on top, does yours have that dj?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
FBE971E2-602B-4B91-AA0E-4D4233C6C55D.jpeg
I’ve never seen a water divider with these hoses either. Just checked the manual, it says 2800 and 3.0 liter with Zenith tag number 1 262 769 has this heat sensitive bypass starter. There are 17 different Zenith carb numbers/tags, perhaps this is for countries with very cold climates, it is not listed for US 2500/2800/3.0 motors.

Last edited:

dj_efk

Reaction score
View attachment 63294 I’ve never seen a water divider with these hoses either. Just checked the manual, it says 2800 and 3.0 liter with Zenith tag number 1 262 769 has this heat sensitive bypass starter. There are 17 different Zenith carb numbers/tags, perhaps this is for countries with very cold climates, it is not listed for US 2500/2800/3.0 motors.

My car was one of the very early UK cars that were built in Euro / LHD spec and then converted to RHD by the importer / sold by Dick Lovett once they arrived. Therefore I would suppose it was built to domestic German spec at the factory, Germany of course has mountainous terrain so if all domestic cars got this system then mystery solved!