Disassembly or reassembly

de coupe

Reaction score
I am in the process of restoring a coupe And I did want to take a survey on the work it takes, in the process and want to see want I can look forward too. So minus the cost of parts and the trouble finding some parts. Just the hands on effort I am speaking of which would you perfer Dis or reassembly. Would you suggest in sending to the pro's "Carl, Don, Peter, etc etc......

G

Reaction score
de coupe said:
I am in the process of restoring a coupe And I did want to take a survey on the work it takes, in the process and want to see want I can look forward too. So minus the cost of parts and the trouble finding some parts. Just the hands on effort I am speaking of which would you perfer Dis or reassembly. Would you suggest in sending to the pro's "Carl, Don, Peter, etc etc......

Taking the car apart can go rather quick..taking apart each component after that can be long ,unless your a pro and are very familiar with the mechanical components that make up coupe..you will need to exercise patience,lots of photo documentation, Ziploc bags, lots of lists, to buy list, to go lists, to study lists.how it all goes back etc..

If you know what your doing ..reassembling a vintage car with fresh parts is very rewarding BUT only can be fully appreciated if you got your hands dirty and fingernails full of grease in the disassembly.There's no pleasure without pain !

As far as you doing the restore yourself or sending it out..Well that can only be answered by you after asking yourself all the right questions "You need to know what the right questions are"
Have you done anything like this before?
If you decide to do it alone there's plenty of guys on this board that have done so as well, and can be very valuable source of information and insight,
All the Best
Giorgio

PaulinPa

Reaction score
I am in my fourth year of "refreshing" my 74 and I much prefer dis assembly.Taking things apart you can always give the stubborn part a little push or a slight flexing of surrounding obstacles to free it knowing that any slight nicks or bends or dings can be polished out or painted over before reassembly.But when you've got that shined up, fresh painted part in your hand and it won't go back where it came from, forcing it in is not really an option.The worst is when your struggles are finally rewarded with the piece being in the correct spot only to realize something else had to fit behind it and you have to pull it off only to go thru it again!No I much prefer the frustration of rusted seized bolts and stripped threads.