Detailed question about color, finish for wheel paint

jmackro

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up this old topic again - I did a search on "wheel" + "paint" and found many previous threads. And although these answered about 90% of my question, I still have two points remaining unanswered.

I am NOT using rattle can Krylon, Wurth, or BMW paint - most of the prior threads that I found discussed these. My wheels are now media blasted bare, and will be painted by my bodyguy. So, I'm looking for something sold in automotive paint stores in quart cans. My bodyguy likes Imron for its toughness.

The reply I found that is the most pertinent to my situation was posted last May by Peter Sliskovitch, the "Coupe King":

coupeking wrote:
Factory wheels were painted with Polaris Silver code 060. Same as the paint used on the bodies of silver cars.

My only follow-on questions are:

- Should the Polaris be finished with a clear coat?

- Does anyone know if Imron is available in Polaris code 060? I guess a quick call to the paint store will address this.

Thanks!

jmackro

Reaction score
I also forwarded the above question directly to Peter Sliskovitch, and got a reply back within an hour or so. Wow!

Peter said that he uses conventional PPG paint - not Imron. He said that he does apply a clear coat. So essentially, he is finishing wheels the same way he would finish the body of a silver CS.

I may still see if I can get Imron in the correct shade of silver, and finish it with clear.

jmackro

Reaction score
I know you're all on the edges of your seats to hear about how I finished my wheels, so here's how I spent my morning:

I went to the automotive paint store, and asked if they could mix Imron in Polaris 060. The guy said they didn't have a formula, but for $35 they could custom match it. I said "nah". Instead I asked to see a color chip for PPG Polaris, the color chips for Imron, and hoped I could find a match. I found something sort of close, but when I asked the price, I was floored: $73 a quart X 2 qts + $152 for a quart of catalyst = $298. Plus tax, plus the expense of having my bodyman shoot it.

Next I went to the bodyshop, where the owner suggested that it might be less expensive to powdercoat the wheels. He strongly recommends either Imron or powder coating for a street use - wheels receive more punishment than body panels. At his shop, we also compared the color of some old CS wheels with my newly painted Polaris coupe - the wheels were a lighter shade of silver. Stated another way, the Polaris appears more gray, while the wheels were a brighter silver.

I then carried the wheels to the powder coater along with one of the pentagonal pieces of sheetmetal that goes above the headlights (which was newly painted, and served as my Polaris sample) . They had a color called "wheel silver" that was a bit lighter than my Polaris sample. I liked the name. I liked their price too: $60/wheel. So, for $300 (I'd doing the spare wheel too) I am getting my wheels powder coated, about the cost of materials if I were to paint them with Imron.

Yea, I could have just masked off the tires, rattle-canned them with Krylon, and been done with it for $15 or so. But, where's the challenge in that?

jmackro

Reaction score
Mike:

I use Primo's at 17592 Gothard, Huntington Beach. 714 715 9596. I got a little bit of a "deal" because 1) my bodyman had already media blasted and cleaned the wheels in preparation for painting them, and 2) because a bodyshop called we were given the "commercial" rate. So, I can't guarantee they would extend the same price. But hey, it can't hurt to ask - the guy at Primos said they would have them done in a couple of days, so they probably aren't overwhelmed with business right now.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wheels

Mike and Jay,

Speedway in Santa Ana can refinish these wheels in the original color. He has done many sets of Alpina style wheels as well, some for Ron P.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
jmackro said:
... Yea, I could have just masked off the tires, rattle-canned them with Krylon, and been done with it for $15 or so. But, where's the challenge in that?

This is always an option, but I wouldn't consider it after a full media blast and prep. Rattle can paint jobs will always fall under the "good enough" category. :) I would've suggested powder coating also. The only thing we've found stronger than powder coating in wear situations is plating, which is why suspension components usually get powder coated or chromed.

Dan

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Second the Speedway wheel re-finish

They are renowned in quality wheel re-finishing for BMW, Porsche and MBZ wheel, having years of experience at it. They have done 3 sets for me--also have polished the two threshold stainless entry strips for BLUMAX (very nice touch), and a series of aluminum parts including trim, bumpers and grills for Coupe and 2002.

The owner knows his stuff and all of the people I have referred have been very pleased with their quality and fair prices.

Just a satisfied customer--Speedway contact info:
714-542-7778
1979 So. Ritchey, Santa Ana, CA
Owner--Danny