DC: 2x M90’s and doglegs anyone?

Bavman

Reaction score
gonna call...but seriously no telling what the parts are worth...cannot be sure either or both have LS...what do M90's and CR's really trade hands for? I sold a road tested CR for $1200 last year. They pretty much should be considered core parts...hauling and storing the cars both take $$$...

Will keep yall posted if I can make a deal on them.

Al Taylor

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
gonna call...but seriously no telling what the parts are worth...cannot be sure either or both have LS...what do M90's and CR's really trade hands for? I sold a road tested CR for $1200 last year. They pretty much should be considered core parts...hauling and storing the cars both take $$$...

Will keep yall posted if I can make a deal on them.

Al Taylor

Al,

You have forgotten more about BMW’s than I will ever know but here is my two cents:

Based on my previous conversation a few months ago they both had LSD’s. The guy know what he has for sure, but the prices are fair. I beleive that he was a tad flexible on the price and not opposed to pulling a drive train or two.

I think an m90 is worth $1K to $2K sold from your average enthusiast. If you are doing this for a living and you need to bake in shipping, storage, pulling the motor, disposing of the turkey carcass etc, that is a different price (same for the transmissions).

I think a dog leg is worth at least $1,500, but $1,200 isn’t getting away with murder. $2k to $2,500 for a tested and resealed unit from an enthusiast is fair IMO. They aren’t exactly rare but you usually need to spend $3K on an entire car plus shipping to get one. The shipping is the killer part. With all of that said there is more chatter about not liking dog legs than liking them. I’m personally fascinated with them because of the novelty (which presimably wears off quick). I now own two but have never driven one. :D

The 3.07 LSD isn’t terribly desireable unless you have the 1:1 trans to go with it. It seems like a lot of people still go with a zippier diff anyway. Stand alone it can be viewed as one of the most rare and potentially pricey, but the hardest to move off he shelf.

If you want to make some money you can always pool the funds from interested members and do the logistics and pulling of the as-is parts.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good summary Markos... this is a lot of rusty metal to haul around to get the items you want and that doesn't take into account the logistics headache.

I will say though, a dogleg 5 with a 3.25 diff is the perfect combo for 3 liter E9 IMO. With a m90 3.5 the 3.07 in much lighter E9 (than E24) should be just as nice.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good summary Markos... this is a lot of rusty metal to haul around to get the items you want and that doesn't take into account the logistics headache.

I will say though, a dogleg 5 with a 3.25 diff is the perfect combo for 3 liter E9 IMO. With a m90 3.5 the 3.07 in much lighter E9 (than E24) should be just as nice.

3.25 LSD with the dogleg is my plan assuming that mine are functional. I've heard that the 3.25 LSD's are hard to come by. As far as I know, they only came in the CSI/CSL.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since none are common anymore I don't think that's an issue... most want to run overdriven 5 speeds so the 3.25 is not a good fit for most and should be easier to chase down. You can always by a cheap open 3.25 donor once you find a LSD unit.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
IMHO (having had an E9 with a CR dogleg transmission), the only reason to get a dogleg gearbox is for the CR. If you spend most of your E9 driving hours cruisin or doing the common club tours and rallies, you will probably prefer the OD gearbox.
The CR is designed to keep your RPM in a narrower range than the standard OD gearbox, which was nice back when engines were a bit peaky. This gives you quicker acceleration, a little more margin for gear selection error going into or coming out of a corner, and reduces unintentional weight transfer when you don't perfectly match revs on a downshift. for the really klutzy driver (like me), a dog-leg box puts 1st gear in a position where it's least likely to be accidentally engaged (e.g. out of the main H-pattern). This can come in handy when you're dealing with a bunch of distractions like in a 4 wheel drift at 80mph 2 feet away from another car and going for a 4-3 downshift.
For these reasons, I think a DL-CR only really makes sense for folks who prioritize track days or intend to actually race their E9 but don't want to go all the way to a specialized race type gearbox (often called a dog box, but where 'dog' refers to a different part of the canine anatomy).

Dog-leg CR boxes are for guys like Duane Sword, Al Taylor, and perhaps our resident rallymeisters.