CSL wheel arch trim

corsachili

Reaction score
A few of the pieces of my as yet uninstalled wheel arch trim has a few small dings. Does anyone in NorCal have a good chrome shop that knows how to clean them up? I have heard that Superior Chrome does nice work but I would love to hear about any experiences others have had. Am I right in remembering that they're stainless? Mine are original parts, not the reproductions.

-tj in Los Gatos

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey TJ, not sure about who can straighten them out but maybe those paintless dent removal guys could do it. Problem is if the dents are on the 'square' edge as its hard to straigthen there.

Yes the originals are stainless and although I hate chrome wheelarches generally I really like the CSL ones as they seem to have an agressive profile.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought the original originals were plated brass?

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
TJ,

Please post some pictures of your CSL before it goes back to stock. I remember how cool your 'salsa' interior looked on your previous coupe but I don't recall seeing any pictures this car's interior with the carbon fibre trim.

Thanks,
Vince

'72 3.0 CS
'72 3.0 CSI

corsachili

Reaction score
This afternoon I dropped of my wheel arch trim at Superior Plating in San Jose to have it refinished. For the most part they're pretty good, but there are a few areas that have small dings and dents and they could all use a professional polishing. Superior has been in business for many decades and do great work, and while quality is never cheap, the value of original wheel arch trim is such that it makes sense to have them treated properly by people that know what they're doing.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the link TJ.

I followed the builds on both of your cars, just didn't remember seeing the carbon fibre installed on your CSL. I have always thought your mods were very tasteful. The zebrano wood on your old coupe was the inspiration for using the same on my CS. I love the contrast of the color of the wood against the black, chrome, and blue/grey leather (later BMW color).

If I were to do a full resto on my newly aquired CSI, I think I would go the stock route. Except for the wheels- I'd have to go with 16 inch Alpinas!

Vince