CSL steering wheel?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Nice, but what about new Momo Retro?

I like it for sure but the rim seems a little smallish in circumference. Is it leather wrapped? I've been looking for a replacement for my 400 mm OE bus-sized 73 3.0CS steering wheel for several months and recently came across the new Momo Retro steering wheel in 360 mm -- yes, a little small in diameter, but a nice design. I believe the relevant Momo hub adaptor is #1507.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/gomiata_2041_53004152

Anyone have experience with this steering wheel and photos of it mounted in your CS?

Wayne

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
that is very similar looking - even down to the bolt pattern. from your post it doesn't sound like you'll be able to try it (since you obviously don't have a petri currently), but are you sure its not a direct bolt-in with the bmw hub?
measure the bolt pattern and post it here, somebody should be able to tell you if its the same as the "real" one.
if it is identical, then you're just stuck trying to find a sport steering wheel hub :roll:
btw, are there any marking on the back of the spokes that tell you who made it for vw?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's highly unlikely this particular wheel was an oem fitment from the old Sciroccos. I believe this was a CSL Petri wheel that had a modified hub to fit the VW. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this matter.

As far as finding a Petri hub for the CS, good luck. These are probably rarer than the wheels themselves as these parts were never available separately.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
These were fitted to 1975 and 1976 Sciroccos. By 1977 VW used a different wheel.

The markings on the back are "38" which I think indicates 38cm. The grip is foam, not leather. I measured the inner bolt circle and it seems to be 72mm, which is in between the 70mm momo and 74mm nardi. So...with a little drilling of the hub this could be mounted and I'd save the original hub and button. Even though this wheel is significantly cheaper than the BMW piece I still don't want to hack up the wheel.

I never planned to find a BMW hub...

[Broken External Image]:http://pws.prserv.net/gforbess/scirocco/dash.jpg

Better shot of the VW horn button, in this case the wheel has been put in a later Scirocco.

[Broken External Image]:http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/730000-730999/730803_45_full.jpg

Reaction score
Petri AG have been a OEM steering wheel manufacturer in Germany for 60 years. In fact, most German car manufacturers including VAG have extensively been using their services.

What you have got is a genuine Petri wheel, albeit not originally from a CSL

Perti AG was acquired by Takata in 2000. http://www.takata.com/Company/History.aspx

hdavis

Reaction score
I found this old Personal wheel, it's different but I think it looks good, better than the old Nardi I had..

Of course I'd rather have a Petri, but this will do for now.

What do you think?
my.php
[/URL][/img]

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry bert35csi, this
if it is identical, then you're just stuck trying to find a sport steering wheel hub :roll:
was meant as a joke.

'69, good luck with the fitment. keep us all posted as I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would immediately go to thesamba or VWVortex and look for a "CSL" wheel.

Orangener

Reaction score
This one above is re-leathered !
The seam should be at 5:30 and not at 6:00 o clock!
I know this, because i have one in mint condition !
But its not for sale !

9287c1e183ee7a02992f94ee8eef3664.jpg

d075678e993e3b3871f25b5f7eb0a83f.jpg