CSL 'Batmobile' @ RM Sotheby Auction

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSL 'Batmobile' coming up for auction in August by RM Sotheby's.

No description yet on the website but a fair amount of pics.

I have no interest/afflication with this car etc.

NB This following link is from a car they auctioned last year : https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/MC18/Monaco/lots/r0075-1975-bmw-30-csl-batmobile/661229 - that's some estimate. No idea if it was sold in the end!

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's right... now I remember this is the one in their showroom. No reserve so will be interesting to see where the market places this considering it's current state.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
looks like the rear trim panel (license plate) is mounted upside down .... it should align w/ taillights

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Later half production 1st series ultralight (116th?) that deserves to be brought back to it's original glory... black doesn't do it any favors IMO.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finding the correct steering wheel in good shape will be one of the biggest challenges. Original color is most likely Golf yellow.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Search list; correct steering wheel, correct road wheels, correct kidney grill...
On the bright side, I am assuming that the engine on the pallet in the photos is the original block, hopefully in rebuildable condition. Would be lovely if the car could be brought back to its interesting, original, nonBat, carb CSL condition. Curious to see if it brings significantly more than the seller paid in 2014.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
in 2014 sold for $148.500 ….. ?? do we see a "trend" in oldtimers ??

I think the lower sale price is in tune with the rising prices of restorations, specially for Csl’s since the body parts are practically impossible and super expensive to find. Thus the lower sale/ buy price to compensate for the expensive restoration that will be required.
I believe the same will happen with the Tiaga 4355016 Csl too.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
in 2014 sold for $148.500 ….. ?? do we see a "trend" in oldtimers ??

This is a rare and desirable carb CSL, only 169 made. They did a color change, turned it into a Batmobile, and added motorsport stripes on a color that didn’t include motorsport stripes as an option (AFAIK).

This car:
BB209FEC-63AA-4AFB-8A6F-7A45746CBFBE.jpeg

Should look like this:
10ACF7CD-7374-425F-BB2E-545C98C547D7.jpeg

IMO, We see are observing the outcome of poor
restoration decisions. No offense to the PO on the turbo bar. These cars are yours to modify but don’t be upset if the market doesn’t agree with your choices. Also, some of these mods happened quite a while ago. The black turbo car was purchased from the forum member and flipped. They should have removed the cow catcher during the refresh. I’m messing with the originality of mine and I’m sure it will haunt me later. Hopefully the work is deemed tasteful.

Sold at $28K under BaT high water (BaT Reserve not met):
EC35DED3-FF2B-476E-AB6F-454FA0D84D9D.jpeg

$30K - Reserve not met:
61B7F591-C564-4348-8FFA-0852EEC4F5FB.jpeg

Last edited: