CSi specific Wiring diagram

Bwana

Reaction score
Yet another wiring diagram thread! However, this one is slightly different. The diagram in the tech info section is for a CS, not a CSi. I apparently have an owners manual, that came with the car, for a Bavaria which seems to be completely different than the Coupe. I've done a Google search of this site and non-specific 'net search but no luck with a CSi diagram (except for Prospero's Garage, any good?)

Are there any CSi owners out there that still have the owners manual with the wiring diagram in the back? Or possibly the FSM? Any chance of scanning it and either posting it or e-mailing it to me?

Edit: I'm looking for this because, as I sort the car out, I've found that the tail lights don't come on when I pull the headlight switch. The headlights are fine, come right on but no tail lights. I've checked the individual bulbs and they are OK. Which makes me suspect there is either a dead relay (are the tail lights on a relay?) or a loose connection somewhere in the system. Just have to find it!

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Bad Grounds

You may need to run a dedicated ground wire to rear. See this a lot on the OFC's... as in "old effing car"

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am speculating that the rear lights wiring doesn't change with the choice of engine (CS or CSi).

If you had no ground you would lose all rear lights (blinker, reverse light, and brake lights).

UPDATED ANSWER:

If you are only missing just normal tail lights it can be a) the fuse, b) the light switch itself c) some of the wiring for 12V path. I do not think there is a relay in the path.

Note that the headlights use a different switch contact and fuse than the rear lights so the headlights working do not exonerate the fuse or switch.

Last edited:

Bwana

Reaction score
I am speculating that the rear lights wiring doesn't change with the choice of engine (CS or CSi). If you had no ground you would lose all rear lights (blinker, reverse light, and brake lights). If you are only missing just normal tail lights it can be the corresponding wiring for 12V. I do not think there is a relay in the path.

Thanks, on the case! The back up and brake lights work, just not the tail lights. At least that narrows it down.

I've downloaded the CS diagram from the Tech section and printed on 11X17 but the resolution and completeness is, ah...., a bit, shall we say, lacking? Not so clear? (No offence meant to the Admins!)

Bwana

Reaction score
Found general problem

OK, looks like I'm suffering from the EOC (?) "effin' old car" syndrome. A general grounding issue. I had this problem with a '78 Ducati Darmah, had to un-solder, clean, and re-solder EVERY connection. Phew! If I ran the wheels off it, it ran great under all conditions. If I let it sit for a couple of months, nothing but electrical problems.

Apparently the same with the CSi. It has way low miles (report to follow this weekend) and so has apparently sat for some lengths of time.

The problem with the rear lights was intermittent but the light would not light using the "wiggle" test. Took it apart and found this

P1150016.jpg

P1150017.jpg

Corrosion between the ground strip and the rivet. The rivet connects to the ground wire on the front side.

Also, during my exercise to find out why the high beams didn't work I found this

P1150021.jpg

As can be seen, again I have corrosion between dis-similar metals (the wire and the rivet) in the fixture for the bulb holder.

The solution I think I'm going to pursue is to drill out the rivets, clean the connections, and then replace them with 3mm bolts and nuts of the appropriate length. I'm pretty sure this will work, I've done it on previous restorations.

I guess I have to remember "simple first" again

Honolulu

Reaction score
+1

+1 on the rivet problem at the ground strap.

For those sufficiently energetic, remove the tail light assembly, drill out the rivets and as stated above, replace with a small brass bolt and nut, or brass rivet. Good luck finding those.

Solder points on printed circuit boards (PCBs) from my E28 and at least one relay PCB from my wife's '98 Benz C280, go bad from dissimilar metal issues. If you to use the magnifier on your Swiss Army knife (you have one, of course) and you will see (sometimes) a small dark ring around the wire in the solder point. Where this is seen, the joint is probably bad or on its way to the sh*tter. If you don't see it, tough luck, the solder point can still fail to conduct.

chicane

Reaction score
Yet another wiring diagram thread! However, this one is slightly different. The diagram in the tech info section is for a CS, not a CSi. I apparently have an owners manual, that came with the car, for a Bavaria which seems to be completely different than the Coupe. I've done a Google search of this site and non-specific 'net search but no luck with a CSi diagram (except for Prospero's Garage, any good?)

The Prospero's Garage wiring diagram is NOT CSi specific and does not include the EFI stuff so do not rely on that.

pmansson

Reaction score
Rear turn signal unreliable

On a related subject: I sometimes lose my right turnsignal (on one of my cars). By now I know that opening the trunklid and moving the wire contact slightly, will bring it back to life.

The pin contact in question should probably be bent down even more, to protect it from objects in the trunk moving about, and certainly be soldered or attached with a small brass screw and nut.

Having one of the prettiest tail lights in automotive history, I suppose we just have to admit that their connections are not on par with their outward appearance.

jefrolison

(deceased)
Reaction score
In the back of book 2 of the "blue" repair manuals there is a csi wiring diagram. In my book the dealer service techs drew a scribble over it and wrote"does not apply to US cars". Maybe they were led down the wrong (electrical) path in the past?
Jef Rolison
71 3.0cs 2210088
74 3.0 Bavaria