Craigslist BMW Finds:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I believe the '80s came with a whole collection of "bad design", including hair, clothes, houses - I lived it, was a poster child for it at one time, so I feel it is okay for me to knock it...

Not to mention the music you had to dance to if you wanted to get laid...

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm thinking stubby Volvo 940 with a raked grille...great looking seats tho.

Spot on. It was called the 440/460 & wasn't sold in the US. Drove one as a rental once. As you can see, we didn't miss much. But in looking for a picture I learned about the 480, which is about what you'd expect an 80s-90s hot-hatch re-imagining of a P1800 might look like.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ugh now I have another deep dive on my hands. The redeeming quality of the 940 was that it still used a red block, despite the overlap with the aluminum five cylinders (would love to own an 850r).

jmackro

Reaction score
I believe the '80s came with a whole collection of "bad design", including hair, clothes, houses - I lived it, was a poster child for it at one time, so I feel it is okay for me to knock it...

I think you're all being to harsh on the Lancia Thema. It shared its platform, and many styling cues, with the Saab 9000, Alfa 164 and Fiat Croma (all pictured below). Yea, it looks dated 30 years after it was styled - but what doesn't? (besides e9's & e3's of course) Even if you hate it's looks, it would be the hot ride for your next Radwood appearance.

200px-2nd-Saab-9000.jpg

250px-Alfa164_Quadrifoglio.jpg

280px-Fiat_Croma_front_20071102.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
long time ago i drove a 528i as daily for some years…. remember it as the best car i ever had. Drove the hell out of it , just fresh oil & filters on time. Never had a wrench on it !

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a sharp car! Personally, I wish it still had the original front seats (even if they are more of a sofa than a seat). But good looking regardless.
Here’s a Bavarian beauty to bring us back to reality.

View attachment 66969

Ed

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wish it still had the original front seats (even if they are more of a sofa than a seat).

I have the Comfort seats in my '88, 535i and they are plenty supportive and comfortable on long road trips. ...but I still keep an eye out for proper Sport Seats

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Think bellbottoms, tie dyed tee shirts with a huge peace symbol(a little classier was a dove), sandals, desert boots, elephant pants(my sister had a pair and thought they were so cool), Nehru jackets, gauze blouses with no bra, tie dyed headbands, Ravi Shankar on his Sitar at the UN, the ubiquitous V peace symbol, the whole California Ethos, looong hair down to here, the Summer of Love(what a disaster that was), long trips in a crash pad(no automobiles needed) and on and on.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end." And we were wrong again,

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Think bellbottoms, tie dyed tee shirts with a huge peace symbol(a little classier was a dove), sandals, desert boots, elephant pants(my sister had a pair and thought they were so cool), Nehru jackets, gauze blouses with no bra, tie dyed headbands, Ravi Shankar on his Sitar at the UN, the ubiquitous V peace symbol, the whole California Ethos, looong hair down to here, the Summer of Love(what a disaster that was), long trips in a crash pad(no automobiles needed) and on and on.

"Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end." And we were wrong again,
By the time I got to UCSB in 1987 there were still a few of those folks around, who arrived in the 60's and never found their way back to the real world. They would wear their tie dyes and come watch bands in the park in Isla Vista and do acid, or act like they had. My roommate's brother got a degree in economics and then made a living following the Grateful Dead across North America and Europe selling tie dye T-shirts (he was actually quite talented).

I tried explaining all this to my girlfriend who grew up on the East Coast in the 80s and went to college in the South, but just could not paint the picture. Until last weekend. We were up in Santa Barbara, and the Summer Solstice celebration was going on in the park downtown. There was of course a drum circle, with all the drummers and even 2 guys playing cowbell. Lots of folks of all ages and states of hygeine and consciousness grooved to the beat, their dirty bare feet tearing up the turf and the dirt. White kids with nose rings and dreadlocks, that kind of thing. She was fascinated, couldn't avert her eyes. She said: "you have to be on something to get into this, don't you?" I said: "on something, or just nostalgic for a time long gone."

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times... Fun, freedom, angst, music, zits, the war, and trying to buy gas and keep the oil changed my old 2002.....a tin of Classic carnuba wax was a deep investment.... I was watching Apollo 11 (nicely done..) with our grandson (13) last week, and having to explain alot. I felt the oldest when they showed the journalists at a bank of wall/pay phones, and had to explain what the phones were...That past was such a wonderful investment in life. Sort of glad that I'm not his age right now. Hope he discovers Santana, slow dancing, Frank Zappa, cooking and gardening, Earth, Wind, and Fire, growing blueberries, Fireside Threatre, shitaake mushrooms, Jazz....wish he cared just a little about cars. I have to remember that I used to think Tony Bennet was square. Everyone have a safe, and peaceful Fourth.

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dave, we recently watched the CNN documentary about the 70s. What a horror show: Vietnam, Watergate, the Munich Olympic massacre, the oil embargo, inflation, gas lines, the Cold War. The only good episode was about music. I remember how happy the whole country was when we beat the Russians in hockey at 1980 Olympics, because we finally felt like we had won something.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If true, a 2018 rebuilt M106 w 5 speed in zypressengrun for $7200. That should be robbery without a mask and gun.

Last edited: