Craigslist BMW Finds:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like this one.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/d/1973-bmw-2002-auto-with/6753242415.html

3964CFC9-F86E-4236-92D5-1C94CF33D4E0.jpeg

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume that it is generally frowned upon to get a 2002 with automatic and immediately convert it to manual? I mean, there are plenty of manuals and the automatics "should" be saved for automatic people, right? I told my "financial adviser" just this morning that I probably need to get a 2002 and she didn't immediately kill me. I think that opens the door. :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume that it is generally frowned upon to get a 2002 with automatic and immediately convert it to manual? I mean, there are plenty of manuals and the automatics "should" be saved for automatic people, right? I told my "financial adviser" just this morning that I probably need to get a 2002 and she didn't immediately kill me. I think that opens the door. :D
Stephen I would revise your last sentence. "Think that opens the door?"

Steve

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My buddy, Barney built an automatic for his wife and it scoots... yes, you need to keep your foot in it to drop the gear, or manually shift. She LOVES it and drives it all the time, even the 1200 mile trip to MidAmerica last April.

0FF8A3B3-CDA8-495A-B8B4-BE17A7228578.jpeg

Yes, Turkis

Ed

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny I thought I might hear from you on this one, but not as seller. :D

I didn't see that Imola red shorty sporty, that thing is beautiful! Maybe I'll spend the money from the 02 to buy it. Oh wait, I told my wife I would sell the 02 to pay for the M3. She's right, I do have a problem!:)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on this?
00R0R_4beMyJj3dSk_600x450.jpg

If it ever stops raining, you might be able to really experience what it's like to drive this thing. ;-)

6sp MANUAL BMW 550i Sport, Nav, cooled seats, Logic7 (2007, 138K mi) - $6499

(NOTE: the "BRAKE" light in the images just means the parking brake is on.)

The awesome:
- Did I mention it has a manual transmission?
- Smooth naturally-aspirated V8. 360hp/360lb-ft. Yes, please. (The newer ones have a more powerful engine, but they're also heavier.)
- Sport package with Active Roll Stabilization. Yes, you pay a slight weight and handling penalty with the V8 vs I6, but it's so worth it, and the ARS really helps.
- The seats are awesome. These are not the crappy, no-padding seats that came with the some of 5-series of that era. They are plush, adjustable in about a zillion different ways (the side bolsters are the best adjustment), and best of all, they offer ventilation-- yes-- A.C. seats. This is the best thing for Texas. It wasn't even an official option for 2007. I had to argue with the dealer to let me order them via some secret option code that BMW didn't publicize because why would you want to make extra money selling people cooled seats in Texas? Anyway, the seats are great. I've sat in a lot of cars with fancy seats, and I have yet to find seats better than this. (You can heat them, too, of course.)
- Upgraded sound system. You can feel it through your plush seat, if you want to. ;-)

The good:
- Very safe. Airbags everywhere. Knock on wood, never deployed.
- Bluetooth for phone (you can voice dial via the steering wheel, which is nothing these days, but back in the day, that was quite handy-- especially because you might actually be shifting).
- Comfy back seat. Not as adjustable as the front seats, no heating or cooling, but still pretty good.
- Relatively new tires, almost new AC compressor (so glad that went out in May).
- Sunroof.
- Side and back windows tinted. Seems to help. Also have a custom fit reflective visor for the windshield that you can have.
- Nav system. These days, it's probably easier to use your phone, but it's nice to have the option, and it's handy to have the map there without chewing up your battery life.
- iDrive is actually pretty good in this model. It could/should be faster, but it's nice that you can do everything without without taking your eyes off the road, and it becomes intuitive pretty quickly. Better than a lot of the touch screen systems and more complex vehicles with tons of buttons.
- Mechanically, it's a good shape. Especially that damn compressor.

The bad:
- No backup camera. (It does have the "Park Distance Control" in the front and back, which seemed pretty high tech at the time. Of course, that was when people were still trying to make cell phones smaller.)
- No BlueTooth audio. Even though it sucks as an audio standard, it's awfully handy, but you don't get it here. (I'm sure there's a way to rig up a system if you want, via the Aux-in.) Speaking of Aux-in, they put it *behind* the center console, as if only the kids in the backseat would want to plug in a music player. Don't worry, it's easy to run a chord to the front, and you're welcome to the chord and the phone mount that's in there, if helpful.
- The button for unlocking the doors are in the center of the dash, not on the doors, and the trunk release button is near the bottom of the door sill, so you generally want to use the one on the key fob. (Who puts buttons in these places?)
- The "cupholders". These were clearly designed for Europeans who drink small amounts of liquid, not for thirsty Americans, let alone Texans. You can get a 20oz Yeti tumbler in there, but just barely. (They do have a helpful "no wine glass" icon, in case you thought these measly excuses for cupholders were for your wine glass.)
- The thigh support extension motor is broken on the driver's side. The dealer quoted me $500 to fix it, and I said forget it, because I didn't care that much -- I'm not that tall. ;-) If you are handy, it looks like it's about a $50 repair: http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/56691-e60-motorsport-seat-thigh-support-bolster-repair/

The ugly:
- Minor scratches from parking (no accidents).
- Some interior wear like you'd expect, including several of the plastic covers for the LATCH hooks in the back seat are missing.
- There's a tiny crack in the wood on the dash that they polish to make it look like plastic that looks like wood. It's been there since I picked up the car in Germany. It's a little irritating, but the good news is that it never got any bigger, and 95% of the time, you won't notice it, but you should know.
- Your views on the E60 styling may vary, although if you've read this far, you probably don't find it too bad.

VINCHECK report available on request. (VIN is WBANB53507CN93644, but for some reason the link to https://www.vincheck.report/archive/WBANB53507CN93644.pdf isn't working.)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Hey Peter,
Personally, I think the "bad" list is irrelevant save maybe for the broken thigh support. No one needs a back-up camera. No one needs bluetooth audio - just listen to that engine. This looks like a great car for a fair price in my estimation. Except it is the wrong color (now black would be sexy). ;)