Craigslist BMW Finds:

Craig Bower

Reaction score
Bought one of these for the drive train to transplant into a yet to be found e9 project car. After getting the early six series car home it ended up being much smaller than I had expected. Been somewhat bitten by the bug and now have a couple first series euro cars. Yet to find that illusive e9 project that "fits".

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take it back! I used to appreciate the novelty of the 4spd. I am now fascinated with the novelty
of the dogleg, regardless of the downsides. My puny motor can benefit from the close ratio gearing!

But for the same price, your motor could not be puny anymore. I have one stashed for a future project, and I'll admit it's mostly about the novelty. But you can also get all the same novelty from a $20 shift knob. No one has to know. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought one of these for the drive train to transplant into a yet to be found e9 project car. After getting the early six series car home it ended up being much smaller than I had expected. Been somewhat bitten by the bug and now have a couple first series euro cars. Yet to find that illusive e9 project that "fits".

The e24 does look like a big car. I didn't like e24's or e12's before buying an e9. In fact I really only liked e28's. The e9 made me appreciate the e24 lines and it also made me appreciate the woodwork in the e12. I'm still biased against downward sloping rear trunks e12, e23, mkI Jetta) but spoilers help.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But for the same price, your motor could not be puny anymore. I have one stashed for a future project, and I'll admit it's mostly about the novelty. But you can also get all the same novelty from a $20 shift knob. No one has to know. :D

Agree $4,500 is a lot of money but not really out of line either. More of a you get what you pay for price.

Layne

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree $4,500 is a lot of money but not really out of line either. More of a you get what you pay for price.

I was thinking of the $2000 or a little less they normally go for. I guess you're talking about a "new" one I think I recently saw for that price? I payed $450 for mine FWIW, but it's been a few years.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was thinking of the $2000 or a little less they normally go for. I guess you're talking about a "new" one I think I recently saw for that price? I payed $450 for mine FWIW, but it's been a few years.

Oops I'm conflating threads. There is a new one for sale. $2,500 seems to be the new low water mark but you can definitely find them for less if you hunt around. It seems like 12 months ago it wasn't that hard to find them for $1,500.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Love the color!

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/d/98-bmw-z3-roaster-rare-color/6259691796.html

00k0k_9POLwYs4k5H_600x450.jpg

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just re-read the listing for the old 4 door
"..far more unique than the now common 2002"
Like there are more 2002 as time goes on?

interesting thing about
"6er was produced for 13 years, but most expensive luxury cars reach full depreciation within 8-10."
a number of years ago, actually a long time ago, I bought a used 528i as a driver
I researched the price quite a bit before buying
If you plotted the mileage vs. the price it was almost linear
So for a 10 year old car I image people are buying perceived miles of usefulness left

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I am a big fan of 1st and 2nd gen 5 series too. (if anybody knows if that Malaga 2002 sells and what it goes for, please let me know)

jamesw

Reaction score
I love the silver 535 and it seems well loved but 11K for a car with a reconstructed title does seem a little high to me.

Cheers
James