Corvair broken glass mystery

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not having much luck selling that darn Corvair. But this new development doesn't make it any easier. Opened my garage today. No one has been in it since I was last in it two days ago and the rear windscreen of the car has exploded. Scratching my head as to what caused this? From the photos it looks like the glass blew out as well as in. It even wrapped around a corner to land in an area that I can't see how it would have landed there. Does anyone have a theory how glass mysteriously explodes in a closed garage?

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_190247.jpg
    IMG_20190717_190247.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20190717_210926.jpg
    IMG_20190717_210926.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_20190717_211010.jpg
    IMG_20190717_211010.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 186

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Bearing in mind I'm on the other side of the world is it possible there was a pressure differential between the inside and outside of the car?
This could happen if you've had a some significant temperature fluctuations? Say the outside of the car got a lot colder than the inside? If your screen already had some stone chip or micro flaws that this pressure could be enough. It could also occur in concert with a dramatic temp change causing the chassis or glass to expand or shrink. I've heard of this happening over here but very rare.

Option B is poltergeist..

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very hot and Humid today with some Thunder and Lightning and a major downpour. The poltergeist theory doesn't sound good, because I'm hoping to have a Cayman in this space in the next year.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I reckon a rapid temp change along with a flaw in the glass may be the culprit.
Same theory as if you put a cap on a bottle with a crack in it and expose it to rapid temp changes. The crack will run and/or bottle may go bang depending on how quick the change.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Judging from my nightmare travel along the East Coast the last 24 hours, the low pressure system was remarkable from NJ
to New England, so I’m guessing Toronto wasn’t immune. Felt more like Louisiana. I knew better than to connect through LaGaurdia, and I’m paying the literal price. But bailed to CT and will go gawk at the cars in Greenwich on the drive to Boston tomorrow to make up for the misery.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pressures cannot build up in cars slowy (as in when temp rises or falls). All cars have openings to the outside to prevent that your eardrums pop when closing the door. Also our E9 does have these, under the C-pillar emblem. So, if it was pressure from the inside then it must have been so fast that the air cannot escape fast enough through these vents. Think explosion speed. As you did not describe any explosion traces I think you can close this thought.

I did have my rear window pop out om me while driving on the highway. Fully shattered like yours, but while driving. The glass installing company explained that residual stresses in glass sometimes do this.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tempered glass can spontaneously break. For buildings tempered glass is usually heat soaked to reduce the effect of the nickel sulfide in the process.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tempered glass can spontaneously break. For buildings tempered glass is usually heat soaked to reduce the effect of the nickel sulfide in the process.
OK, I guess it's time was up. It is 54 years old. The perimeter of the "blast" has glass scattered in about a 15 foot circle. Some behind the car, most in the interior and a few little bits all the way to the front of the passenger area.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, that reduces the stresses and the chance of breakage. I believe that glass that will break from a nickel sulfide inclusion typically occurs within 7 to 10 years - 15 years at the high side. I kind of suspect something else was the cause for this 54 year old unit. Any kids or animals pass through the garage? A squirrel throwing accorns? How about a glint of sunlight passing through a narrow opening - super heating one are of the window?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Open window to keep airflow going, so a small critter perhaps. No direct sunlight comes through this window.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I understand it, there can be some impact on a window glass at any time in the past, that doesn't result in a break, but this "memory" is stored as a stress that can be held in check for a time, but will eventually, in the future, break or shatter. The event looks spontaneous and unrelated to anything, but was likely destined to happen based on some sort of long time ago impact. The car is just telling you that it wants you to keep it, would be my guess. Corvairs can be quite spiritual, I have heard.;)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just wonder how my kid got to Toronto and back without me knowing.
Seriously, he jammed a flag between the window and pillar when he was 5. As I drive over a bridge, I hear a bang and glass goes flying. The NY part of me tells him to get down...then I realize he was levering the flag stick and broke the glass. Dad always said I hope you have a son just like you....

BTW: Dad had a Corvair, I loved that thing.