Copart E28 in Des Moines

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Love it! I assume because the source is "charity" means it has a title (not a salvage title).?.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Love it! I assume because the source is "charity" means it has a title (not a salvage title).?.

I'm not familiar with Iowa's DMV process but it says "Regular Certificate" so I would assume it's clean.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I were to buy an e28, my number one priority would be nice paint. Everything else is easily replaceable by a shade-tree mechanic but paint is expenseive. E28 clear coat is gone 9 times out of 10.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I were to buy an e28, my number one priority would be nice paint. Everything else is easily replaceable by a shade-tree mechanic but paint is expenseive. E28 clear coat is gone 9 times out of 10.

I used to think this way before I started learning how to flip cars and hanging around guys who do it for a living. Now when I look at a car I ignore bad paint and consider it a "discount" on the price, plus it doesn't hide bad metal underneath. When you look at that E28 you see bad paint but don't you feel like the metal is good? If that car had nice "new" paint I'd question the metal. I'd paint that car myself for $500 and the paint would outlast me.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to think this way before I started learning how to flip cars and hanging around guys who do it for a living. Now when I look at a car I ignore bad paint and consider it a "discount" on the price, plus it doesn't hide bad metal underneath. When you look at that E28 you see bad paint but don't you feel like the metal is good? If that car had nice "new" paint I'd question the metal. I'd paint that car myself for $500 and the paint would outlast me.

Honestly rarely see e28's in the PNW with bad metal or any signs of rust. Dents and dings are another story...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The paint is not what is scaring me on this one. The unknown of why it won't start, and the certain risk of divorce proceedings is the only thing making me twitch. Otherwise, I guess I like 'em crusty like this.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The paint is not what is scaring me on this one. The unknown of why it won't start, and the certain risk of divorce proceedings is the only thing making me twitch. Otherwise, I guess I like 'em crusty like this.

Couple things about not starting... At the auctions they don't spend any extra time trying to get something to start. They try with a key as-is and then with a jump box and that's it. The other part of it is they says there's a key but sometimes there isn't and they never tried to start it. I don't see a key wrapped around the steering column so it might be the case with this one. I've experienced it many times over the years. Or, it has a blown engine. ;)

FYI, when I bought that '69 2800 at auction is was a donation and didn't start. When I got it I hooked up a battery and it turned over but didn't start. I squirted some starting fluid in the intake and it fired.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Couple things about not starting... At the auctions they don't spend any extra time trying to get something to start. They try with a key as-is and then with a jump box and that's it. The other part of it is they says there's a key but sometimes there isn't and they never tried to start it. I don't see a key wrapped around the steering column so it might be the case with this one. I've experienced it many times over the years. Or, it has a blown engine. ;)

FYI, when I bought that '69 2800 at auction is was a donation and didn't start. When I got it I hooked up a battery and it turned over but didn't start. I squirted some starting fluid in the intake and it fired.
well that reminds me, we are anxiously awaiting an update on that 2800 purchase!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
well that reminds me, we are anxiously awaiting an update on that 2800 purchase!

It's sitting outside my unfinished paint/work garage at the moment. I did manage to fix the crack in the oil pan and have collected most of the tune-up parts I need, just need space and time now...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's sitting outside my unfinished paint/work garage at the moment. I did manage to fix the crack in the oil pan and have collected most of the tune-up parts I need, just need space and time now...
ah..the old time and space conundrum. I also struggle with this. have every storage space filled, and then there is this other car I have always wanted, looks like a great deal....:( But I have decided, I will not tarp a project, it must be indoors somewhere. Mike

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I helped my Brother with the purchase of a local to me 535 IS many years ago and drove it down to deliver it. We both loved that car. I could easily daily an E28.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
a 535iS with good interior and uncracked dash...and only 128,000 miles. Heckuva deal.

These are pretty simple cars to get running again. Coulda, woulda, shoulda... live bidding in progress now.