Copart BMW finds...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How does this end up in a junkyard? This car was built one number ahead of my first coupe which was 2240521

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's an auction. Used to be mostly for insurance salvage but now anyone can sell and anyone can buy.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Copart/IAA used be a high percentage of insurance salvage, now it might be 50% at best. They run most of the donation programs and have an entire division of sales guys trying to getting dealers and private sellers to sell at the auctions.

I agree that there certainly seems to be a LOT more private-type sales on Copart; not just wrecked cars anymore. I wish they would post the sales prices...

You've posted several good project cars in the last few days, Dan. BAT started off simply posting Craigslistings and other "found" cars. Perhaps I'll point folks to Copart to those people looking for a project car. The trick is finding one locally, or knowing someone local who can inspect it. The e9 and the e24 M6 look like pretty darn good deals (depending on reserve)

Keep posting them...not sure why I look, though; I need another car like a hole in the head. :)

Ed Z

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Keep posting them...not sure why I look, though; I need another car like a hole in the head. :)
Yeah, what is it with guys like us? The 2002 in Vallejo will sell tomorrow. I'll watch it sell and then feel a little depressed because I didn't buy it, then I'll start convincing myself that I shouldn't have bought it anyway, remind myself of my current projects and then finally move on. :cool:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Some of those recent postings read "Salvage Certificate" instead of title. I assume that is an issue?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some of those recent postings read "Salvage Certificate" instead of title. I assume that is an issue?
Usually means it's an insurance vehicle. In CA it becomes "Salvaged" when you re-register the vehicle. Other states are different. That 2002 is an insurance collision sale so it would be salvaged if put back on the road.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you get that privilege from from being a "Member?" It's hard for me to justify becoming a member since I'm not a dealer. Sorry, directed at Dan...forgot to hit reply on your comment. That Tii hit $7K...cheap but pending authorizatoin from seller which I doubt they will. But you never know, they didn't lest seller I don't think.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Guys, look closely, the 73 guards have been inverted to look like an earlier coupe.
Is that what they did, I thought those looked "off" a bit. Most likely saw a picture of an earlier coupe and thought that's how they go on. Not done on purpose I wouldn't think.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
We use our own software that captures our bid history and high bids of the vehicles we have/had bids on. We use a service that scrapes the auction data and can look up lot numbers afterwards. It usually takes a vehicle two or three auctions to finally sell so we have to "play the game". Knowing our bid history helps that game. You would buy through a broker so I'm not sure you need to be a member.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We use our own software that captures our bid history and high bids of the vehicles we have/had bids on. We use a service that scrapes the auction data and can look up lot numbers afterwards. It usually takes a vehicle two or three auctions to finally sell so we have to "play the game". Knowing our bid history helps that game. You would buy through a broker so I'm not sure you need to be a member.
Thanks Dan that's helpful...