Copart 1969 1600 & 1972 2002

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man, how does a car like this end up at Copart? Original color is Tampico, too. Love it!!!

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cool - Yep

But, according to the experts at CoPart....
Estimated retail value:

Attachments

• SnipImage.JPG
    SnipImage.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 122

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Cool - Yep

But, according to the experts at CoPart....
Estimated retail value:

The seller provides the ERV, so if it's not an insurance company it means nothing. And sometimes it means nothing even it's an insurance company.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Oh man, how does a car like this end up at Copart? Original color is Tampico, too. Love it!!!

Note the location as Houston and the water film on the gauges. One flood repository has an oddly dystopian section for now flood-branded exotics and classics. On the brighter side, Copart also liquidates donation cars, which often appear in worse shape than the repos and I assume are from public radio and television, because if you sort for donation cars, a disproportionate number appear as Volvos, VWs, etc.).

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Note the location as Houston and the water film on the gauges. One flood repository has an oddly dystopian section for now flood-branded exotics and classics.
Jay, are you thinking that this car was under water? It notes that it has a clear Florida title, and that it runs and drives. Or are you thinking this is potentially a donated car? For a "running and driving" car, does Copart let you go there and take it for a spin around the lot?

jmackro

Reaction score
Oh man, how does a car like this end up at Copart?

Awfully good question - clearly it somebody's 'baby' at one time. Note that Copart assigns an estimated retail value of $33,968 USD - seems a bit ambitious!

a0c7cd22-e62c-44d8-999e-7bf521127fa3.JPG

JayWltrs said:
Note the location as Houston and the water film on the gauges. One flood repository has an oddly dystopian section for now flood-branded exotics and classics.

I'm no expert on flood-damaged cars, but I'd expect the interior to look a lot worse if this car had been underwater.

3b9a0df0-1bcf-49f2-936d-a1014f43fbd0.JPG

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
They typically don't let you drive it, but they let people inspect and you could hire a PPI. It doesn't have the D Donated tag, so not donated. It doesn't say it has flood damage and there are no visible grease-pen marks on the side to show the water line. So, it doesn't appear to be a flood car strictly speaking, and it says it has a clear Fla. title. But who knows where it came from and CoPart is a quick and dirty logging process. They do start them and put them in gear and if they go at all, they get an R. A 70s BMW with Fla tags sitting on a lot in Houston seems super sketch. Looks like some of parts were stripped. So, it could have been a repo/lien/storage foreclosure or somebody bought a building and found it in the back or someone left it on the street or side of the road. It does look like there's been alot of humidity inside, which could be from all sorts of things in Houston and Fla. short of a strict flood. But, it could be super cheap!!!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm no expert on flood-damaged cars, but I'd expect the interior to look a lot worse if this car had been underwater.

I'm no expert either, but do a search for houston and 2016-2017 Porsches or BMWs and flood/water damage. For some, the water line marks are in the middle of the door and the interior looks great. Then, some of them look like they're still wet and moldy. Super weird. I obviously spent too much time on that site one day after the flood. o_O

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My guess with this car is that it is NOT a flood car at all but happens to be in Houston. Water level marks on cars are only on a small percentage of flood vehicles and only with insurance totals. I think someone picked this car up somewhere in that area and is selling it at Copart in hopes of an international buyer exporting it out of the Houston's port. I see this a lot where you can buy cars on craigslist or eBay for less than at Copart and IAA because they have easy, nearly "push button" export processes. If you buy from a private party you have to have someone here to arrange transportation and shipment, and also paperwork, which can get tricky. I also find no history of this car being sold at auction, but that's not 100%.

This car was up to $5100 before the auction started today. Didn't meet reserve and it's rerunning next week again...

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My guess with this car is that it is NOT a flood car at all but happens to be in Houston. Water level marks on cars are only on a small percentage of flood vehicles and only with insurance totals. I think someone picked this car up somewhere in that area and is selling it at Copart in hopes of an international buyer exporting it out of the Houston's port. I see this a lot where you can buy cars on craigslist or eBay for less than at Copart and IAA because they have easy, nearly "push button" export processes. If you buy from a private party you have to have someone here to arrange transportation and shipment, and also paperwork, which can get tricky. I also find no history of this car being sold at auction, but that's not 100%.

This car was up to $5100 before the auction started today. Didn't meet reserve and it's rerunning next week again...

Whoa! The more I play around on Copart, the more impressed i am with the tentacles their business model reaches. You’ve described another market I never thought about! I remain skeptical of the Fla title (which Tex couldn’t rebrand as a flood title w/o a transfer & I was raised to avoid Fla cars) and the water film on the odo, but I’m with you. I’m also not sure a 2002 can generate the margins to justify this arbitrage w transportation costs. To me, paying above parts-car price for this would be an unwarranted risk. But I’d love to be wrong and learn about a new market.