Converting Classics to Electric

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get a bad feeling from this. Sounds like the first step to banning classics. Glad I have an assortment of two strokes on an island property.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
this is crazy.... i found one of the greatest joy is just keeping it mechanical running.... we sure don't do it for the luxury in the car . If you want to drive electrical, buy a modern new electrical car . Why put it in a oldtimer ? for the show of $$$ ? But i can see a problem , when petrol engines will be banned...many "+ 500k" owners will have nightmares…. so i understand they already search solutions not to loose there "investments" already now with the rumours...…

Coincidence, this week i got a letter from the Morgan dealer in Brussels that i must buy a day permit of 35 € to go to the garage in 2019 with my oldtimer Morgan ! All citys here want to become "Low Emission Zone " … and ban oldtimers. Ban ? , no you have to pay …. haha, for me not a problem, i hate citys.

i feel lucky i'm 62 … and will not have to deal with all that BS in the future…...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Barry, y0u are only 62.....don't think you will outrun them, as they are moving fast.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
By driving an old car at least you know you aren't sentencing 4 year olds to work in a Cobalt mine in the Congo.

jmackro

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about converting Aston Martins and Jaguars to electric.

On one hand it is contrary to the whole idea of preserving historic technology. The sounds and smells of internal combustion engines are just magical - electric power, not so much.

But on the other hand, isn't it just the next logical step down a slippery path. Many of us have already "upgraded" our classics by substituting alternators for generators, Pertronix for points, fuel injection for carburetors, 5-speeds for 4-speeds, etc. So why is chucking the old internal combustion engine and "upgrading" to batteries & electric motors any different? Sure, electrification is a more radical modification, but where do you draw the line?