Comparison of aftermarket suspension

Rek

Reaction score
I realise I mis-typed my post - the original springs were 450lb.

As for ride height - the spring is naturally compressed by the weight of the car, then the bottom perch is raised and the car height goes up - the compression is the same but the shock is extended. This also works for lowering the car but beware of the bottom perch and clearance against the wheel and tyre.

My final experiment is 325lb 7.5" springs.

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Thanks, I think im getting a better understanding....

I see setups like in the below picture and getting it in my head this is the only way to do it properly: having a separate way of adjusting height...

Im also liking the idea of this!!

https://catuned.com/catuned-e9-e3-bavaria-coilovers

Attachments

• 100226_04-500x500.jpg
    100226_04-500x500.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
You might like the idea but you won't like the ride. Your dentist will when he has to replace the teeth you lose on rough roads.

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Haha why... Surely that all depends on damper setting and spring rates no?

Its the adjustability i'm instantly admiring!

cdavie2002

Reaction score
Ah ok. I would be putting on the original top mounts to begin with as I have new ones...

Im just off the phone to BC Racing, im told the dampers can be tailor-made in the factory to a damping range. I need to advise them on what spring rates I will be using so they can match this up with the dampers.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to rear springs and ride height, recall that BMW made two spring pads for our cars. In order to comply with the (silly) US headlight height rules, BMW added an aluminum plate between the top of the front strut and the body. And to keep the car level, BMW increased the specification on the rear spring pad.

You can therefore lower the ride height of a US spec car by removing the aluminum spacer in the front and changing to the Euro spec spring pad in the rear.

Albert

Reaction score
Hey,

I am trying to purchase a set of coilovers. I have BC on my E30 but I know E9 will be a different ride with coilovers so I was wanting feedback on anyone who has coilovers now or been in one with coilovers. I will not be tracking the car but I will have a low ride height setting. I have seen options with KW V3, BC Racing, CA Tuned, and Ground Control.

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey,

I am trying to purchase a set of coilovers. I have BC on my E30 but I know E9 will be a different ride with coilovers so I was wanting feedback on anyone who has coilovers now or been in one with coilovers. I will not be tracking the car but I will have a low ride height setting. I have seen options with KW V3, BC Racing, CA Tuned, and Ground Control.
I have had lowering springs/HD Bilsteins and GC coilovers on my coupes; coilovers are a bit stiffer, but they perform better as well. When I took my coupe to VIR it handled much better than I anticipated; I ran out of nerve before the car ran out of ability. It is a harsher ride, maybe not tooth rattling as has been mentioned, but it is noticeable compared to stock for sure. It’s all about what you want/expect from the ride. I have gladly sacrificed some ride comfort for a more aggressive look and better handling.