Comparison of aftermarket suspension

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can update that the Ground Control setup is still available at $1799.

Edit: Additional info received: This price excludes the need to send them and surrender your shock for modification.

Have also been looking into the KW V3 Inox. This setup also requires you to surrender your stock strut for modification to a coilover unit. Looks like not matte who you go with, you can't just buy and replace!

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well, as long as this thread is alive and kicking, I had a brief conversation with H&B the other day. Their shocks are stock Bilstein B6s, although as noted the rears are the 2002 version of this shock because it is a better mate to the shorter spring. The spring rate of their springs falls in between stock and Carl's springs.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, as long as this thread is alive and kicking, I had a brief conversation with H&B the other day. Their shocks are stock Bilstein B6s, although as noted the rears are the 2002 version of this shock because it is a better mate to the shorter spring. The spring rate of their springs falls in between stock and Carl's springs.

I've seen references to H&B... can you please advise who this is? Thank-you!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The guy at H&B was great. About 5 minutes into the conversation he talked me out of changing my setup and I thanked him for his time. He responded something like "No problem, we like to make sure the right information gets out there."

I thought that was pretty cool.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Suspension set-up?
Depends what you're gonna do.

Had the CN set up, now been running coil overs for over ten years (by Ireland Engineering).

CN's set up is great for all around, but if you desire a more precise instrument that delivers greater confidence at the upper end, a coil over set up should be considered. Along with every bushing in the car....

Ultimately, we disconnected the rear sway altogether allowing the rear to roll a bit keeping rear rubber planted longer/less nervous. This was suggested after a friend (a former F5000 pilot and serious hot shoe) spent some time sharing our cars on track and very spirited road events.

Again, all depends what the end use and application is. There are many directions one could go....

Drive them.

Reactions: dp

climbernyc

Reaction score
The suspension pieces arrived this week and I should have the CN camber plates by next week- time permitting I can swap in the new components very soon.

climbernyc

Reaction score
Suspension was installed this week. I won't be able to get to Mechanic and drive for a few weeks but so far it seems like we didn't lose any height. :(

climbernyc

Reaction score
c95cf0ccec95798c3c6c4a4fac665d18.jpg

Update: Suspension and steering rebuilt. Cut 1/2 coil off of the front. Car is planted and compliant. Just need to add a bigger front sway as it is pushing a little on tight radius turns. The 16" HB wheels with forged wheel halves are very nice. I don't feel any harshness over bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rek

Reaction score
I have the Gaz shocks set up referred to in a post on this thread (with pictures far above). They supplied them with 250lb springs which were far too tough. I have fitted 250lb springs but they still seem very hard.

What rating of spring do people use on a lowered set up?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
" Just need to add a bigger front sway as it is pushing a little on tight radius turns"

More front anti-sway stiffness can give you more push. You need more tire up front and more REAR roll stiffness to neutralize the nose heavy design. Thats why i run a rear anti-sway bar. But as Shannon said, the rear bar might not be the fastesr setup even though it feels better. Staggered tires look better too, but again I'm not convinced it feels better than even all around because more grip at the rear exacerbates front push. Maybe play with our tire pressures a bit. Try to get it to where your warm psi is +3 in the front.

climbernyc

Reaction score
Great advice, thanks. What cold tire pressures are you running on 16" wheels and tires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rek

Reaction score
I have the Gaz shocks set up referred to in a post on this thread (with pictures far above). They supplied them with 250lb springs which were far too tough. I have fitted 250lb springs but they still seem very hard.

Sorry. The rating was 350lb on original the springs - now 250lb. Any advice on what might work well?

cdavie2002

Reaction score

How do you adjust the coilover length / ride height? I imagine after building, you would adjust the collar to +/-5mm up to slightly grip / compress the spring and set the pre-load. Surely then you could continue to adjust further and yes that would in turn adjust the ride height. But, I cannot see how you can adjust the height without also compressing the spring & adjusting the pre-load...