Color Combinations

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a blue interior with a colorado (002) exterior? I currently have the typical polaris silver exterior with blue interior (which I like) but am intrigued/considering colorado. I prefer the more yellow look (like the nose in title block of this site and the photo of merdad's Csi in the photo gallery) than the more orange that colorado probably is - based on other photos I have seen on this site.

Also, what is Condor Yellow (003)? It shows up on the BMW color number/name lists, but I have never seen the color or the type of car is was available on.

Thanks,

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
Hello (to that voice up in our rainy section) Sven!

(It may be that the nose you refer to is the color of the car in the last 2 photos posted, below this text....)

IIRC BMW's particular shade (Colorado) of gold/yellow is quite striking and bit rare as some say BMW only painted 12 CSi's in that shade.
Did you buy a new Coupe or? Personally I have only seen a couple of Colorado cars and the interior has always been black IIRC.
Perhaps a good highlight was the yellow and black plush floor mats to accent the warn wood and match the color or at least what one
could see of the exterior from the inside.

Murray Fowler has shown me pics of the Colorado Coupe in his domain and they are posted below.

115.jpg

120.jpg

Have you considered Ceylon perhaps as an alternative?

ft.jpg

30csl_BobChristiansen1-1.gif

PS. A bit of speculative reverse thinking on the combo reminded me that I drove a new Lapis e46 with parchment interior and actually the combo is pretty nice in person..Sorta 'beachy' In theory before I saw the car it sounded somewhat garrish but in front of me it said...buy me!...So be bold, who's gonna really notice or dislike it... but yours truly? See other nice yellows on this 2002 color swatch chart...

http://www.02restoration.com/bmw-tech-tips/bmw-2002-paint-colors.html

Also according to my records Condor Yellow was of course never a standard CS color, most likely an e3 (option) ?

Oftentimes I have found this website (BMW colors and related interior colors) to be quite helpful...

http://www.e-24.ru/eng/theory/colors/gallery/

PS. Might you still have that pair of Zenith's you can part with for $150?

Cheers!

Ran

Notes:

1972 Colorado 3.0 CSi

VIN # 2263210—Number 3210 out of a complete production run of 6506 CSi coupes. It is one of 2999 1972 CSi coupes built and delivered worldwide during the 1972 production year. This car was produced in August 28th 1972 with original color of “Colorado (02)”.

It was delivered to BMW dealer, Hans Wagner in Bonn, Germany. First sold in December 12th 1972 to H. Rudolf Osang whom I was told was a politician. One year later his assignment was changed and the car was sold to Albert Truschinsky, an engineer.

The service book shows that its first 41,680 Kilometers, was performed at the original dealer with all stamps and stickers in the service book until April 24th 1974. Mr. Truschinsky then brought it to Chatsworth, California August 18, 1976.

I bought the car on October 26th 1996 with 267,600 Kilometers on the clock. I then had the speedometer’s face plate changed and recalibrated to show MPH and leaving the mileage as was showing, which really translated to almost the same (267,600x.625=167,250).

The car was painted once and the cloth interior replaced with non-original material by the previous owner. The chassis was completely free of rust and extremely solid, and that was the main reason for purchasing this car, besides the color that I just loved.

Engine-- The head gasket was cracked and the engine did not have the correct CSi pistons at the time, and with recommendation from Carl Nelson, in February of 1997, the engine was replaced with a 1985 3.5 liter 735i engine and a 1981 528i Getrag 5-speed overdrive transmission. The original D-Jetronic injection was kept on the car. The original engine with the matching chassis number was also stored for future rebuild and originality. It now has about 197k miles.

Interior-- Replaced the interior seat covers with the original black Herringbone pattern. New carpet was installed in 1997 from World Upholstery, but I do not like the material. I have since found the original carpet pieces and planning to replace them one of these days. Original headliner still on the car but needed to be dyed. Dash was replaced due to its cracks. All door panels are original and in good condition. I alternate between many steering wheels that I have collected during the years and I currently run the leather Personal/Nardi for its comfort, but the CSL steering wheel goes on for events. Toolbox has all the correct tools, and all the trunk liners are original and in great shape.

Exterior-- On April 1999 a minor accident forced me to take it to South Bay Auto Shop, whose owner, Vladin Trifunic, is a long time coupe body and paint expert. There it received a new left fender, the nose skin and a complete re-paint. At that time I had all of the seals and trim replaced, re-conditioned, re-chromed and re-anodized. Last year I put on the 16” Alpinas and CSL fender trims.

Last edited:

kfrito789

Reaction score
I was surprised to see my 85 M635CSI in the pictures of E24 colors on the website above. Blue/Black Met was a special order paint (a Porsche color no less). I know of only two other cars painted that color.