clutch master & slave

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Last Saturday the clutch pedal started going to the floor. I was able to shift after the pedal would return and I made sure I had pressure. I was able to get home the 15 miles with very few shifts but it was nerve wracking.

It had the classic slave cylinder symptoms. I have the 5 speed OD box. Even Carl Nelson was there and recommended I replace the slave, so I did today. However, I couldn't bleed it. I disconnected the line between the master and slave, pumped the pedal, and no steady stream of fluid, so it must be the master. I am told they are NLA but Carl can rebuild it.

Can someone tell me what master I actually have (marked 19mm)? Is it e9, e12, e28? Does anyone have a part number in case I get lucky and find one. What line do I have from master to slave? It has a short metal tube but the rest is rubber with a female fitting at the end near the slave.

What a pain to get out BTW. Thanks in advance.

bengal taiga

Reaction score
Clutch master cyl for 73 e9 unavailable?

Beg to differ re the clutch master cylinder is not available.

See: http://www.epsparts.com/c=Ex7ZktNeH...Cylinder_for_E3_Sedan_Coupe__21521114539.html

I believe the part number is 21521114539.

Slaves are available too. In a pinch, you can substitute the slave cylinder from the 2002, but you need to eyeball the replacement part. Difference is in the internal diameter of slave cylinder.

I am unfamiliar with the retailer. You might want to try Mesa Auto in your area.

Good luck.

Philip Slate

Reaction score
The part # from bengal is correct. Also the prefect advice. Take parts to Mesa and have them match 'em up.
A little story time: had a similar problem after replacing the trans in TBL (Friday night before a race weekend) of clutch pedal going to the floor and bleeding the system providing no results. Went racing anyway and had virtually no clutch all weekend until the last part of the last race on Sunday. The pedal came back and has been fine ever since. Go figure.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
clutch master

Thanks guys, the part looks identical. Mesa's web-site and Carl both say NLA although Mesa sells a hose adapter kit for a later master. I will check this out.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
Several workarounds

If you have changed your brake master cylinder in the past 15 years, you probably had to add two large rubber grommets to "adapt" the reservoir feed tubes to the "newer" style master cylinder. I seem to recall that there may have even been a silly grommet within a grommet fix that I used way back when. In any event, I suspect this is what Senor Nelson is suggesting, or there may be a different piping/hose configuration to the slave.

Since the other company in the ad is still advertising the older "original" style at a price that seems stomachable, I would go that route.

Good luck and please tell us what you end up with so we may all profit.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Clutch Master Update

I have decided to go with Mesa Performance, Jim and Spence know every nuance on these cars. For about $90 you get an e21, early 5/6/7 series master (21 52 1 156 004) which includes and requires an output hose to the slave without the 90 degree bend in the current hose (it exits differently) which is a 2-piece affair, if you already have the 5 speed. 4 speeds need a different hose that goes directly to the slave. The line from the reservoir needs to be either 1) replaced by the blue silicone hose, or 2) what I will do, shorten the pipe at the master, use a short piece of blue silicone hose with the nipple needed on these later masters (it too enters at a different angle than the existing straight pipe).

The original masters have not been produced for about five years, and while EPS does have some for $136, eventually everyone will be using the newer ones. Carl Nelson is rebuilding the older ones for this reason. Peter also recommends going with the newer parts.

The only difficult job on the install will be holding/fixing the lower bolt on the engine side of the firewall and conversely the upper nut on the driver's side of the firewall, you can't get your fingers on either one. Friday will be D-Day to get it back together! Thanks for everyone's help.

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I bought one brand new about a year ago on Ebay. It is the same master cylinder that was used on some early Volvos; 1800, 142 etc. On the Volvo the resivor sits directly on top of the MC so the rubber grommets that our resivor hoses go into are different. I reused the ones from my old MC with our a problem. You should be able to get a new one for $50.00-$80.00; Just another option.

Scott

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Mesa Clutch Master Cylinder replacement

This is directed to HB Chris, regarding your use of Mesa's kit.

What it the correct order of the pipe and the flexible hose? Does the hose attache to the master and the pipe to the slave?

I'm also replacing the slave and have an overdrive 5 speed.

So far, I've managed to get the old master out.

Any tips?

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Mesa Clutch Master Cylinder replacement

This is directed to HB Chris, regarding your use of Mesa's kit.

What it the correct order of the pipe and the flexible hose? Does the hose attache to the master and the pipe to the slave?

I'm also replacing the slave and have an overdrive 5 speed.

So far, I've managed to get the old master out.

Any tips?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This post is more general to the earlier questions regarding the master clutch availability. Walloth & Nesch has master clutch cylinders that appear to match the old style configuration. I just picked this one up from them for around 82 €. All I had to do was swap the eye bolts. The input and output ports are the same size and in the samel locations. The cast body of the unit appears a bit more streamlined. I have not yet installed it but it seems like a good match.

The part number is 21 52 1 104 262

ClutchMasterE9.jpg

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This post is more general to the earlier questions regarding the master clutch availability. Walloth & Nesch has master clutch cylinders that appear to match the old style configuration. I just picked this one up from them for around 82 €. All I had to do was swap the eye bolts. The input and output ports are the same size and in the samel locations. The cast body of the unit appears a bit more streamlined. I have not yet installed it but it seems like a good match.

The part number is 21 52 1 104 262

ClutchMasterE9.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hose to slave

Bill,

As I recall, the pipe is on the master and the flex hose goes to the slave. Someone on eBay sells the correct one piece hose for $39 or so.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hose to slave

Bill,

As I recall, the pipe is on the master and the flex hose goes to the slave. Someone on eBay sells the correct one piece hose for $39 or so.