Cleaning up the engine compartment-questions

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm a fairly new owner of a 1971 2800CS and this is my first real post in this forum. I'm going to begin tidying up the engine
and engine compartment. Have some questions I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1) I ordered a set of new hood pads and I was wondering is there a quick and easy way to remove the pieces of the old foam
pad that won't damage the paint?

Pad_9336.jpg

2) Do you know if there is a rattle can paint color that is a pretty close match to the air cleaner's light gray?

Right_9334.jpg

3) My oil filter cannister is currently rust colored, what color was it originally painted?

Left_9331.jpg

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks

Pete

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Pete and welcome to the forum and related coupe madness. These 3 topics have been covered in previous threads, try searching for "hood insulation" "air filter grey" "filter paint" and "cannister stencil paint" (without the quotes) and this should get you in the right direction as well as other searches. Feel free to post pics of your new purchase!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
another Pete

Hello Pete,

As Steve mentioned the search button is really helpful, and congrats on the new family member! A question for you; by any chance was your cars original color Amazon green, it's hard to tell, but looking under the pad it looks like the original color on my 74. Hard to believe they actually used that color for more than a couple of gallons :) anyhow, mine is now (or going to be) 040 midnight blue. How's the body condition? Any rust? Go ahead and post some pics- and welcome aboard!

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve/Peter,

Thanks for the tip, I should have tried searching first. The car was originally
Agave but was repainted Schwarz in 1993. Body is in pretty good shape with respect to rust. The previous owner addressed any signs of rust as soon as he found it (one rocker panel and the bottom of one front fender). I'll post some pictures of the car in the General discussion area. Great car and a blast to drive.

John Buchtenkirch

Reaction score
3M makes a product called “release agent” that should soften up the glue bond of that foam. You will have to go to an auto body shop supplier to purchase it, I’ve never seen it in any other type of store. If you use some type of scraper be careful not to push so hard that you make marks that can be seen on the top of the hood. ~ John Buchtenkirch

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used a lot of Goo Gone and a plastic putty knife and occasionally judiscious use of a metal putty knife. It doesn't all have to come off - a little old glue residue is ok as long as it is flat and dry - the new foam is very sticky. Cover the engine area and front of car with a tarp - it is a messy job. One panel to go:

IMG-20101107-00003.jpg

Finished with new foam:

IMG-20101113-00028.jpg

Stefan

Reaction score
For the hood pads, use white spirit (I hope that's the same as "lacknafta" in swedish?) Correct me Swedish fellows if that's not the same product in the wild west :)

Does not interfere with any other parts on your car more than the glue! No extra tools needed more than your own fingers and a rag to wipe off the glue with afterwards.

Best luck!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
foam removal

3M adhesive remover
Citrus based bike chain cleaner
Degreasers used for pre-painting prep (from you local autobody supply house)

ohio2800cs

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Steve: Really looks good with the new pads on.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And a helpful tip is to cut the paper adhesive backing into 3 sections horizontally with a razor - especially one under the hood cross bar - this will make it easier to install straight and peel the next section off as you go.