Cleaning fuel rails

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
This is about my 850i , don't shoot me , it's also a BMW :D

i plan to install new injectors but i'm amazed of how much "deposits" "sludge" there is inside the fuel rails. ( yes , i have new fuel filters, this must be from the past 25 years ... )
Don't think that all that will become loose all of a sudden and clog my new injector filters but i don't like the idea of not be able to clean it.
So i have installed a fuel pump in a bucket and did pump around trough the rail : injector cleaner, acetone etc.... but the fluids stays clear ! soaked it over night … nothing seems to solve it ! I can easy take some of the "sludge" from the walls with a screw driver trough the holes , but no fluid seems to have impact on it . Only thing i see are some loose particles that came out with the flow.

Anybody done this ? a idea ?
I almost think to cut a end plate so i can go in there with a wire brush,clean and reweld it... ??

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
problem solved and not :)

The other side is clean , no sludge. I ever bought a demounted engine and i knew there was still 1 fuel rail among the parts … clean.... and the right one to replace the dirty one ! ( they are different ) ... lucky.

Remains the question from where all that sludge on the sides in 1 rail …. perhaps ever a broken filter that side ? Or run without filter ? who knows.. '91 is now 28 years …. there are 2 pumps, 2 filters, 2 rails.... but of course out of the same fuel tank.

Even if the filters are now only 2 years old , i will place again new ones …. to be sure. :eek: