Central fresh air vent flow

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
The central fresh air vents above the radio have a white filter element behind them. On my car this element appears to be inhibiting fresh air flow, as I get only fresh air that escapes around the filter through the heater control slats. Is this micro filter that prone to clogging up, or was it not meant to pass high air volume? Shame, as these vents could provide well needed air for a non-AC car.

Thanks!

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
The central fresh air vents above the radio have a white filter element behind them. On my car this element appears to be inhibiting fresh air flow, as I get only fresh air that escapes around the filter through the heater control slats. Is this micro filter that prone to clogging up, or was it not meant to pass high air volume? Shame, as these vents could provide well needed air for a non-AC car.

Thanks!

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Filter behind the air vents--NOT in an E-9

Although you may have a one of a kind--in over 37 years of being a multiple owner and judging, sorting, prepping and generally being around large numbers of them over the years at West Coast gatherings--I have never seen or been around one with a filter behind the air vent.

Please elaborate on what you have going on. Are you sure it's an E-9?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Filter behind the air vents--NOT in an E-9

Although you may have a one of a kind--in over 37 years of being a multiple owner and judging, sorting, prepping and generally being around large numbers of them over the years at West Coast gatherings--I have never seen or been around one with a filter behind the air vent.

Please elaborate on what you have going on. Are you sure it's an E-9?

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It sounds like the original duct insulation may have collapsed and is now blocking the fresh air outlet. I recall that duct is lined with a layer of filter-like foam that is covered with a thin layer of cloth held in place with adhesive. Adhesive and cloth eventually disintegrate. It is very easy to re-line the duct with more contemporary insulation and adhesive.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It sounds like the original duct insulation may have collapsed and is now blocking the fresh air outlet. I recall that duct is lined with a layer of filter-like foam that is covered with a thin layer of cloth held in place with adhesive. Adhesive and cloth eventually disintegrate. It is very easy to re-line the duct with more contemporary insulation and adhesive.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Vraned - I have looked over the photos on your site. Very nice. Could you tell me what type of felt materials you used. There appears to be a heavier weight material for the flappers (riveted together?) Were you able to find felt with adhesive on one side for the edges of the plenum? I have found some industrial type felts with 5 yard minimums. The local fabric store felt seems too light weight. Did you use felt to for the sound insulation lining of the plenum?

Is there already a verbal description of your heater box resto work?

Thanks

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Vraned - I have looked over the photos on your site. Very nice. Could you tell me what type of felt materials you used. There appears to be a heavier weight material for the flappers (riveted together?) Were you able to find felt with adhesive on one side for the edges of the plenum? I have found some industrial type felts with 5 yard minimums. The local fabric store felt seems too light weight. Did you use felt to for the sound insulation lining of the plenum?

Is there already a verbal description of your heater box resto work?

Thanks