Carpet Replacement Sources

acat2002

Reaction score
What is the general consensus on the quality of carpets offered from World Upholstery? Not just the quality of the carpet itself, but the fitment and bits of vinyl that are sewn onto some of the edges. Do the kits include the vinyl lips that continue under the seat rails in the front.

I'm looking for a good quality carpet and can't tele from the images on their website if the quality is good-better-best etc. Also, the carpet that came out of my coupe is a mixture of blue/grey loop. I have no idea if it is OEM, or original to the car, but don't want to replace it with an obvious copy (vibrant blue). The pattern I have is sort of a salt-n-pepper grey/blue and I'd prefer to find something like that. Is that correct? any suggestions?

2f5485aca03435ece0040ed5a5abb487.jpg

jmackro

Reaction score
acat2002:

I am going to guess that the blue/grey carpet you photographed is the original stuff - or a darned good repro.

I would broaden your question to: "Does World (or anyone else) offer E9 carpet made from the same two tone fabric used back in the 70's"?

jmackro

Reaction score
bela22:

I took a look at the Klaus Hermann Mayer website, particularly the page showing carpet materials:

http://www.cabrio.de/Englisch/navi.htm

At least to my eye, none of the blues look like the photo that acat2002 posted. I know that KHM describes these as "two tone", but their dark blue shade ("dunkelblau") seems to lack the pronounced grey loops shown in acat's photo. Am I looking at the right material on the KMH site to match acat's (and my) original carpet? I am guessing that you used KHM's "congac" or "dattel" on your coupe, which may better match the factory color.

Is anyone aware of a US source for E9 carpets in the colors posted by acat? Not that I don't love ordering parts from Germany for my German car, but shipping to the States can be a killer.

acat2002

Reaction score
after looking at the photos on the site, I agree with J Mackro. There is nothing that matches, although the quality looks good.

Would anyone recommend against their velour? of course the color choices in the velours are a little aggressive for this period, do you agree?

In any event, if there is no exact copy, the Haargarn-Boucle square weave type looks like the best quality. I'm guessing that Balugrau "#405" would be the best choice for my Fjord car with blue leather interior.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cabrio.de/Englisch/images/Geschnitten/19_1.jpg

At USD $527 that is pretty steep. I don't mind paying for the quality, but it had better be pretty nice quality.

Again, to second J Mackro's comments - where are the alternatives?
Who has used http://www.worlduph.com/ and been satisfied with the quality?

bela22

Reaction score
yes you are right.Blue doesn't look good.

And yes, I used "422 dattel" which I think looks very good,close to original.

sorry for misleading you,just wanted to share my good experience.

321a302d947868c7831dd28748462b8f.jpg

234bedb32eebf28854fb16f90a29e204.jpg

mark

Reaction score
don't know about carpet from world for e9s, but i have had excellent experience with carpets (and headlining) for an old merc - identical to original,

cheers

jmackro

Reaction score
mark:

Sorry, but Australian isn't my native language.

I think you are saying that you bought a carpet and headliner for an older Mercedes from World Upholstery, and it was a good match to the materials supplied by Stuttgart.

Or, maybe you're saying that an old Mercury has the same carpet (and headlining) as an E9.

If I had to guess, I'd bet on my first translation.

On another front, I have sent a material request to World Upholstery, asking them whether they can supply the blue/grey material shown in acat2002's photo. I will report back with my findings.

jmackro

Reaction score
I forwarded acat202's photo to World Upholstery, and asked if they could supply that blue/grey carpet. Here is the reply I received back:

Hi Jay,

I have seen the carpet in your photo before but it has been discontinued for a number of years. We are not aware of any sources for it. I'm sorry we can't assist you with this request.

Jamie

well, I have to give World credit for a) replying quickly, and b) being honest about what they do and do not have.

Hmm - where else might we find it?

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
If your carpet is overall as good

As your picture shows:
Try the following--it has worked for me & I still have original carpet @ 410,000 miles--most people find that hard to believe. Your original carpet is far more durable and will clean up better than you may suspect. I am convinced that a lot of Coupe carpet has been replaced simply because it was dirty but not worn out.

Follow steps below for best cleaning results--I do this on the apron of my driveway:

Pull all of the removable carpet sections:
Lay flat & wet carpet with hose setting on shower--spray with quality biodegradable cleaner--I use a citrus based cleaner.
Scrub thoroughly--both directions using medium bristle brush.
Hang vertically and rinse thoroughly.
Repeat step 3 using same medium bristle.
Hang vertically & rinse again--until water runs clear.
While vertical--use squegee to remove excess water.
Hang vertically until dry.
If not satisfied repeat steps until all soil is out.

I have done this to a number of early Coupes & a couple of Bavarias--they had the same materials. I am still amazed at how well the original carpet will respond to cleaning as described--and you too may be amazed.

As Mikey says--try it you may like it!

acat2002

Reaction score
Wow, thanks jmackro for doing my homework for me! Yes, I agree at least they (World) acknowledged the difference. I may request a sample from the German supplier (the color I indicated above) and see if I like it.

Blumax - I wish my carpet were serviceable. That picture illustrates the ONLY piece of carpet that is not ripped. The rest of the carpet is toast. Thanks for the tips though.

If there is anyone out there with a Fjord w/Blue leather E9, or has seen a nicely restored interior of this color combination, please let me know your thoughts. I don't want to buy a $500 set of carpet that is an obvious copy or tacky color.

At this point, I think sample #405 above "Blaugrau" is probably the best choice.

I may have to start another post for this, but I also need some help with the foam blocks under the front carpet (in that mine are none-existant).

Mario L.

Reaction score
I have a carpet suppier that has supplied us with matching carpet on several BMW restorations, and I believe we can match the blue gray as original. Cut and edged ready to install.

Please call my shop and we'll get you some more details. I'm at home and don't have the info here.

jmackro

Reaction score
acat2002: Well, I'm not only doing your homework - I have the same need for my 2800 CS restoration. Let's keep in touch, and let each-other know where we find carpet in the blue/grey color combination.

Murray: I'd love to just clean my old carpet - most of it is in pretty good shape. However, my bodyman tore some of the old carpet while removing it to do the floor replacement (yea, I should have removed it myself). So at a minimum, I need to replace a few sections. But, while it's all out, there's always the temptation to re-install new.

Mario: OK, Vintge Sports & Racing may well be my solution. I am still a couple of months away from installing carpet - my CS is still at the bodyshop with the metal work done, primed, and awaiting paint. Thanks!

Mario L.

Reaction score
So after I made this bold statement . . . I made some calls . . this particular color combo is special order only . .

I can buy the material and the carpet kit manufacturer that we have worked with extensively will make the CS Coupe carpet kit from material we supply.

Presently the supplier does not have tis color in inventory, and won't until the end of January! If you guys want this . . . you need to plan ahead!

Ussually I can acquire carpet kits in a few days . . this will take longer! Please factor that in as you plan your restorations.

An alternative . . is the blue with black speckle . . readily available!

acat2002

Reaction score
Mario: thanks for the info! - I still have to make it up to see your shop. I wish I were more local. I know, I know, Bow NH is right over the MA border, but now that the coupe is safely tucked in the garage for the winter I'll have to wait until spring.

Bella: I'm thinking of ordering the carpet from your suggested source. Is there anything I should be aware of, ask in advance etc.? I assume somebody will speak English.

My CS still has all of the original tar-like (dynamat-type stuff) on the floors, which I plan to leave, but all of the padding is crumbling. What type of padding should I use? how thick? adhesive spray?

One final question: Please tell me that the flaky white flat sound/heat insulation on either side of the tranny tunnel is NOT asbestos! it really looks like it could be.

bela22

Reaction score
It is really a correct company.I ordered mine personally ,paid in advance,and they delivered it in time.Well packed,trouble free deal.
They even can send you color samples,and yes they do speak english.

I strongly suggest you ask them for sample,since blue isn't really matches original pattern.

Once again:I'm really satisfied with the 422 dattel, and the red two tone was also absolutely perfect.

please see this :

a46bf30a095c22bc2d5b5e451fe6da1b.jpg

56cf422f7bab9461cacfc59645e95748.jpg

baea28140e204978fdab4987cc883e10.jpg

PaulinPa

Reaction score
acat2002-Your flaky white stuff is not the usual material used by factory,possibly PO attempt to counter usual heat coming from that area.Factory "insulation" is rock hard black tar covered by brittle foam glued to worthless thick tar "paper".At least that's all I've seen on '69 to '74. By the way for anyone living in colder climates this is perfect time of year to remove the black tar.Park car outside in cold for couple days until it freezes then use wood chisel and hammer to chip it off (wear goggles)Some people use dry ice but mother natures freezebox is free.