car radios

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Right, but they don't seem to match the BMW knobs much (AC knobs for example), hence hoping the BLaupunkt BMW knobs will fit.

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I wonder if there is anything that you can't answer in one sentence. :D You are a man of few words...

AM (mediumwave, 530kHz-1650kHz, today goes up to 1710kHz), SW (shortwave, 1711kHz-30000kHz), L (longwave, 100kHz-395kHz), and FM (frequency modulation, 87MHz-108MHz, or sometimes only up to 104MHz). Depending on what part of the world your car was sold in, or where the radio was purchased, there can be many different bands. The symbols L, M, U and K are the German language equivalents to longwave, mediumwave (broadcast AM), FM, and shortwave respectively. Sometimes you'll see M mixed with AM and FM. In this case, M stands for Marine (a part of the shortwave band).

Longwave (L) isn't really used in the USA anymore. Most of what you can pick up are beacons broadcasting their ID in morse code.

Shortwave (K), aka The World Band. Want to hear what's happening in Germany, Great Britain, or even the Voice of America? This is where you'll hear it. Different parts of the world receive different frequencies in the shortwave band better than others. If you look at different radios, you might notice that the frequency coverage on the shortwave band is different from radio to radio. You might even notice something like 25m 31m 49m on the shortwave scale. Some areas in the 60s still used the old "meter" designations (still used to some extent today) instead of the frequency numbers. Shortwave radios in general aren't very popular in the USA and are almost unheard of in American cars.

Mediumwave (M) is the old broadcast AM band. This is what most cars once had. You would be pretty hard pressed to find a car radio without AM, unless it's an add-on FM unit, and then you'd have AM in the stock position, FM under the dash.

As technology got better, FM (U) became more popular. FM has a far superior frequency range for music than AM. But, FM signals only travel line-of-sight. If there is a mountain between you and the transmitter, forget it! AM bounces all over the place and is usually very easy (especially at night) to get in if you live in rural areas. Shortwave (which is really AM) travels farther. In the US, FM was for talk and classical music until the 1970s. Usually only high-end cars had FM. The FM band in the USA is between 87MHz and 108MHz, and has been that way since the 1940s. Europe's FM band (in the 1960s) ran from 87MHz through 104MHz. Some of you might notice that the scale runs from right to left, instead of left to right like we are used to in the USA. Sometimes, you'll see the scale on one band run from left to right, and one run from right to left on the same radio. Go on, take a look! That's usually because of the design of the tuning capacitor(s) in a multi-band radio.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Europa II installed and it fits very nicely. I had photos from photobucket....but they have screwed us. I can post a photo in a few days .

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@enoz05,

You really delivered on your last response. Thanks for throwing down on the forum, letting us know that you aren’t just a guy flipping radios and fog lights! I greatly appreciate your insight.

Forgive my ignorance, but does a european radio work on the US. I can’t gleam from your lost whether the tubing of the radios in europe essentially keep the box outside of the US range.

I have a US frankfurt. The rest of my dash is in german/metric. I’m not opposed to running a european face plate on a US tuned radio. What is the best option forward. Swapping the face plate or the whole radio? I don’t need to see the actually frequency on the face plate. My radio is stuck on NPR, or the “Casper Baby Pants” cover of beatles hits is playing. :D

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, The FM will work in North America, but not the AM from what I understand. As I recall it is 10 units of something off.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Both work in the US, the FM scale is just shorter, it stops at 104, in the US it goes to 108.
Ok, I think it was Euros digital radios that have the Am at different tuning intervals Or maybe I am still imagining this? Thanks for the correction Chris.

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
@enoz05,

You really delivered on your last response. Thanks for throwing down on the forum, letting us know that you aren’t just a guy flipping radios and fog lights! I greatly appreciate your insight.

Forgive my ignorance, but does a european radio work on the US. I can’t gleam from your lost whether the tubing of the radios in europe essentially keep the box outside of the US range.

I have a US frankfurt. The rest of my dash is in german/metric. I’m not opposed to running a european face plate on a US tuned radio. What is the best option forward. Swapping the face plate or the whole radio? I don’t need to see the actually frequency on the face plate. My radio is stuck on NPR, or the “Casper Baby Pants” cover of beatles hits is playing. :D

Markos,

European blaupunkt radios are working in the US, without any problems. The only difference is the FM scale.
European radios goes to 104MHz and US radios goes to 108MHz.
Because your dash is in German/metric, I believe your car is Original European delivered.
If you want all Original and correct to your car, I would suggest to install a European blaupunkt .
However, if you want to continue to receive channels up to 108MHz, you will still have to use your current radio.
Changing the displays is also a possibility.

Regards Enoz

Bwana

Reaction score
Here's a shot of the radio I got from Becker Autosound. It does look a little too "electronic" for purists but it dows have a removable face plate with a CD slot behind it, USB port, and plug for the XM. Also two output ports for 4-8 speakers and a pretty good amp (40W?). $600 drive out I believe. And no, it doesn't really fit right, I think it's a shade too long. But I really like the modern functions with the original knobs.

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_094331228.jpg
    IMG_20171026_094331228.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 164