Canepa Csl

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
17A0B275-5410-420A-926A-FCBC69212A16.jpeg

No slots on the one HBChris drove (above)

or the one from DQ’s post ( below)

1AB44D0F-A0A6-445D-87B8-7EEB18EAB3C7.jpeg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The above Inka Csl’s are the Carb Version whereas the Canepa car is a later 2275 in which the front bumperless versions were very rare.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The first 169 carbed CSLs are the true lightweights and never had a front bumper hence no slots for one.
Hi Chris, I have had cause to investigate this a little over the last couple of weeks. My understanding is that the first 169 cars were 'carb cars', but very few of the 169 "carb cars" were Lightweights. I stand to be corrected, and would welcome more expert input on this subject, but I believe only about 30(?) of the carb cars were Lightweights, the rest being City spec cars.

As for CSL color preferences, I think Roger's Golf Yellow car looks fabulous, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at either of the oranges, either :D

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Chris, I have had cause to investigate this a little over the last couple of weeks. My understanding is that the first 169 cars were 'carb cars', but very few of the 169 "carb cars" were Lightweights. I stand to be corrected, and would welcome more expert input on this subject, but I believe only about 30(?) of the carb cars were Lightweights, the rest being City spec cars.

As for CSL color preferences, I think Roger's Golf Yellow car looks fabulous, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at either of the oranges, either :D

I think you left plenty of room for correction and clarification but I'll leave that to the experts. :)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

The first 169 are true lightweights, no city packs. They had the lightweight panels, hood, trunk, doors, manual front windows, fixed rear side plexi, rear plexi too, no front bumper, plastic rear bumper, hood prop, trunk prop, thin felt like carpets and other features. The 2275xxx injected cars are a mix of light, partial city pack and full city pack, and UK RHD adds more to the mix.

The real experts will chime in!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan,

The first 169 are true lightweights, no city packs. They had the lightweight panels, hood, trunk, doors, manual front windows, fixed rear side plexi, rear plexi too, no front bumper, plastic rear bumper, hood prop, trunk prop, thin felt like carpets and other features. The 2275xxx injected cars are a mix of light, partial city pack and full city pack, and UK RHD adds more to the mix.

The real experts will chime in!
Thanks Chris, I stand corrected. However, to complicate matters a little further, I have been looking very closely at an extremely early car (with a 2211xxx chassis number) that clearly has the slots for the front bumper brackets, as well as holes in the rear valance, presumably for rear bumper underriders. That would seem to be unexpected if none of the first 169 cars had a front bumper and only had the fiberglass rear bumper?
Cheers!
Dan

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I stand corrected. However, to complicate matters a little further, I have been looking very closely at an extremely early car (with a 2211xxx chassis number) that clearly has the slots for the front bumper brackets, as well as holes in the rear valance, presumably for rear bumper underriders. That would seem to be unexpected if none of the first 169 cars had a front bumper and only had the fiberglass rear bumper?
Cheers!
Dan
Hmmm, do you believe the chassis stamping? Is it a dressed up CS? If I were going to spend money on the car, I would fly in Mario or someone else to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmm, do you believe the chassis stamping? Is it a dressed up CS? If I were going to spend money on the car, I would fly in Mario or someone else to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Thanks, good advice for sure given my obvious lack of knowledge regarding all the nuances and differences between the various CSL models. :rolleyes:

We couldn't come to terms on the car I mentioned, so further investigation of that one is something of a moot point. The only slightly odd thing were the bumper slots and rear underrider holes, everything else was as expected.

As an aside, how many of the later fuel injected CSLs were true lightweights?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, good advice for sure given my obvious lack of knowledge regarding all the nuances and differences between the various CSL models. :rolleyes:

We couldn't come to terms on the car I mentioned, so further investigation of that one is something of a moot point. The only slightly odd thing were the bumper slots and rear underrider holes, everything else was as expected.

As an aside, how many of the later fuel injected CSLs were true lightweights?

I would say the answer to that is unknown. Probably few to none. Particularly when it comes to Perspex windows. Supposedly, BMW may have the information as to the build of each car, but they are keeping it to themselves.