Bypass oil filter Question

MMercury

Reaction score
This question concerns the use of bypass oil filters on an M30. Such systems are widely used in commercial and marine applications. They have been around for decades and supplement the stock oil filtration system by scouring the smaller unwanted particles from the oil. I am not suggesting a bypass filter is necessary for normal passenger vehicle operation nor am I attempting to debate the relative merits of such a system. However, I am curious as to any applications specifically fitted to an M30 or even M10 engine.

The post is prompted by a chance observation of what appeared to be an oil bypass system fitted to an E24. (Driver was checking oil and drove off before I had a chance to observe more closely and ask a few questions.) This was shortly after reading Pamp's post about a different style filter assembly
http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5808.

I have seen an M10 fitted with a Frantz bypass filter that, from memory, was fed by a small port off of the oil filter housing.
Anyone familiar with running the Frantz or similar bypass system (Amsoil) on an M30? What is the common low pressure source, the oil pressure sending switch at the back of the cylinder head? Common return location? This subject received very brief discussion in another post http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5326 Gwittman, any pictures or further details?

FWIW, here is a pic of an installation marketed by Amsoil on an E30:
image02_640.jpg

see:
http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/viola_mark/index.aspx

http://www.frantzoil.com/home.html

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Last edited:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Some, if not all, of the 'euro' 635s came with the set-up that Bert has in the linked post. They had an oil cooler behind the front air dam.

MMercury

Reaction score
Some, if not all, of the 'euro' 635s came with the set-up that Bert has in the linked post. They had an oil cooler behind the front air dam.

Good point I had not considered. I would expect the 635 or similar setup would easily lend itself to a bypass system (with a few reduction fittings). Yet, I can't recall seeing such a "bypass" setup on any of the later models using the M30, except for possibly a home brew turbo application, and even then, that might have been for full pressure lubrication of the turbo. As I was on this board, I was thinking E9. A search revealed a passing reference to a bypass system on a 2800cs. This also circumscribed my thinking. A few pictures or details might be interesting. :?:

The subject vehicle was an early North American model and I did not pay attention to any euro fittings. It had a narrow (paper towel length?) filter sitting near the left side firewall and slightly over the polished valve cover. The filter housing bore handwritten and printed notes. I have no idea why it was placed there, how it was plumbed or whether the hood would fully close over it. (Turned my back and the vehicle was gone.).

Placing a bypass filter (assuming that's what it was) so far from the oil filter housing or the oil cooler suggested the possibility that the filter was being fed from the pressure sender port on the head. I can't be sure now, but the return line might have been connected to or somewhere near the the valve cover.
8.png

gwittman

Reaction score
It has been so long since I installed my by-pass filter that I don't remember exactly how I did it. I will take a look tonight and get the details.

On most engines, I pick up the oil supply by putting a T at the oil pressure sending unit but I don't think I did that on my 2800 CS. I know it comes from somewhere on the left side (driver side) of the block. The hardest part was finding a place to mount the filter. Mine uses a 1.5 quart filter and is pretty bulky. I use a Harvard oil filter system and they do have 1 quart filters now which would be easier to find a location to mount.

gwittman

Reaction score
I picked up the oil supply to the by-pass oil filter at the stock oil filter mount. I just drilled and tapped a pipe thread into the oil passage at the rear of the stock oil filter mount. The by-pass oil filter is mounted near the front/lower portion of the left foot well. The oil return line goes back to the oil pan but I don't know exactly how I did that. I could see the oil return line goes to the right side of the block but I don't know if it goes directly into the oil pan or into an oil return passage in the block. I would have to get the car up in the air to determine the details.

MMercury

Reaction score
I picked up the oil supply to the by-pass oil filter at the stock oil filter mount. I just drilled and tapped a pipe thread into the oil passage at the rear of the stock oil filter mount. The by-pass oil filter is mounted near the front/lower portion of the left foot well. The oil return line goes back to the oil pan but I don't know exactly how I did that. I could see the oil return line goes to the right side of the block but I don't know if it goes directly into the oil pan or into an oil return passage in the block. I would have to get the car up in the air to determine the details.

Thanks for the info.

flow.gif