Bracket for Front Plate

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey folks-
I am thinking of putting on a plate on the front bumper (Euro or BMW or something...) but don't have a bracket. There was no front plate on it when I bought the car. The collection of parts I received didn't have one in it either.

Any ideas on sources? The bumper has holes in it that (I figure) would be standard but...???

Thanks - Any ideas on this would be appreicated.

MMercury

Reaction score
Hey folks-
I am thinking of putting on a plate on the front bumper (Euro or BMW or something...) but don't have a bracket. The collection of parts I received didn't have one in it either.
Any ideas on sources? The bumper has holes in it that (I figure) would be standard but...???
Any ideas on this would be appreicated.

Several solutions come to mind. Some of these depend upon the size and shape of the plate.

The simplest and least elegant might be to bolt the plate using the existing bumper holes. If the (US-style) plate is not an exact fit, elongate or drill new mounting holes in the plate.

Most any auto parts store would carry a universal mounting kit. Specialty hot rod outfitters may offer a means of mounting the plate away from the body and even the front bumper (if missing), if that suits your taste.

You could also fabricate a base similar to that used by the factory. Some purists may not care for this suggestion, but it is a strip of metal with 4 bends, see number 9 below.
24.png

Another possible solution would be to look either for the part numbers 51185770122 (Euro plate) and/or place a WTB ad on this and other forums.

Others are certainly more knowledgeable on this subject than I. You are probably only limited by your imagination and wallet.

Good luck.

(Duct tape, pressure treated lumber, magnets, bailing wire or strategically placed c-clamps may work in a pinch but as some of these may be an acquired taste, provoking mixed reactions. Fabrication for a Ferrari mounting might be slightly more involved.) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcoVurVY30&feature=related

pamp

Reaction score
Front Plate

I do have a mount. BMW #51 18 1 832 855 but I chose to use a mount I modified formally from a Volvo.(see '74 Bumper Swap) I think it was either from my '71 142E or '73 P1800 ES. Could have been '77 MB 280 E. Can't remember. Too many cars ago, too many parts pack ratted in my shop. Let me know if you want the the mount I have, shipping only as this was passed on to me from Paul R.
Cheers

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the info...
I didn't even think of looking at the OE parts as I figure they'd be NLA.... The bracket (#9) might work - funny thing is it even shows for both the E9 and the 114 (2002's). I think I might even have one stashed away in a box out in the shop... I 'might' - It's been over 25 years since I ran that car (my 02) with a front plate and I remember the bracket looked something similar, but... who knows if I still have that part.

PAMP- I'd like to find out more about your part (it's #22 on the graphic)
Might be an option - Don't think I've seen that style before (not that I've really paid attention, but.... still could be good)

Thanks!

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wish I did not have to have a front plate

I live in Maryland - one of the states that requires a front plate. I think the e9 and e24s look better without the front plate, but when driving without my front plate one day, believe it or not I was stopped by the police. Fortunately I had it in the trunk and told him that it "came loose."

But - I wish I did not need a front plate - the lines are nicer.

Just my 0.02

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info-
In Washington, they require both plates when it is a regular car.
My car has 'collector' registration. No big deal except for two things...
1- $40 one time payment for permenant registration
2- only one plate is issued. :) :) :)

And - Since I have three collector cars... It sure helps in keeping the recurring registration costs in check (as does the cost of agreed value insurance - through Hagerty for example)

So - for the front - I am thinking of finding an interesting European plate (the long/narrow variety) that would be a little more interesting than showing off the holes in the front bumper.

As to the ways to attach it...
That is what I'm just now getting into...
Thanks again-

Oh - Thought you might like to see the 'gang' -
Took this pic on a clear day this last spring.

Attachments

• DSC00311.jpg
    DSC00311.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited: