Bosch Window Sunroof Motor cleaning refurbishing tutorial

Wladek

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Today want to show you cleaning/refurbishment process of Bosch window motor (old type till 1973), the same motor is used for rear and front windows and also for sunroof (might have stickers GOLDE, but it 100% same motor).

Don't know, maybe someone here on this forum did same tutorial before, but i hope mine will add something new and you will enjoy it.

Already made refurbishment of 4x motors like that one.

As for me this type of Bosch motor is almost bulletproof. Even if is fully rusted inside it is possible with great possibility of sucess to refurbish it (with newer type motor from 1973 it is not so obvious), know this because has one before, that was fully stucked and rusted. After refurb worked well & quiet.

Lets go...

1. Some needed tools

2. Before starting disassembly use some WD40 on marked places (doesn't metter if you have great or bad condition motor).

3. If your motor is stucked use drill machine, mount it as is shown on photo – try to rotate, start with low speed, if it work put some more WD40 and rotate a little bit more.

4. Time for disassembly – start opening the case with knife (don't use screwdriver as it will damage aluminium case!!!), just knife & finger/hands. Four fasteners bend till 90 degree. Open case on both sides.

5. Now you need to gently remove/cut washer. Cut because in some places it might be glued. For this you will need paper knife as it sharp and thin.

6. Now you need to unscrew 2x screws on back of motor. For this operation it is better if you use vise/holder and really big flat screwdriver, because screws are locked probably with something like Loctite.

7. Then you are ready to pry with a screwdriver as shown on photos on both sides.
10.JPG 20.JPG 21.JPG 30.JPG 40.JPG 41.JPG 42.JPG 43.JPG 44.JPG 50.JPG 51.JPG 52.JPG 53.JPG 60.JPG 61.JPG 70.JPG 71.JPG 72.JPG 80.JPG 81.JPG 82.JPG 83.JPG 90.JPG 91.JPG 92.JPG
93.JPG
94.JPG
95.JPG
96.JPG
97.JPG

100.JPG
101.JPG
102.JPG
103.JPG
104.JPG
105.JPG
110.JPG
111.JPG
112.JPG
120.JPG
121.JPG
122.JPG
130.JPG
131.JPG
132.JPG
140.JPG
View attachment 32618 View attachment 32619 View attachment 32620 View attachment 32621 View attachment 32622 View attachment 32623 View attachment 32624 View attachment 32625 View attachment 32626

Last edited:

Wladek

Reaction score
8. And you are ready to remove rear wall. Make it very carefull, no need to hurry, as you don't want to brake any of the connectors/cables. You need to rotate/flip the inner part of motor while disassembling.

9. Now it's time to put inner part of motor on drill machine to remove all the rust, dirt etc.. For center metal part i used sandpaper 150 and then 600 (if you have more rusted use 80-100 at first, then 200, 600). For copper part use sandpaper 1000-2000. You also need to clean both ends/rods (for this use 1000-2000 sandpaper).

10. Next step cleaning of case holes. I used standard drill put on it some material & start rotating inside.

Wladek

Reaction score
150.JPG
151.JPG
152.JPG
153.JPG
DSC02909.JPG
DSC02910.JPG
DSC02911.JPG
DSC02912.JPG
DSC02913.JPG
11. Magnets rust cleaning/sanding just with hands (sandpaper 150, you can finish with 600).

12. You also need to clean/send metal washers – i used 600 sandpaper, sand just with hands on flat surface pushing back/forward.

13. Now greasing – all sanded parts i lubricate with copper grease (let just say for future rust prevention). Lubricate with finger.

14. Time for reassembly – start from puting all washers back on both sides rods (metal washer - material washer - metal washer), as shown on photos.

15. Tricky part – before putting back rear wall you need to push graphite motor brushes with 2x thin screwdrivers as shown on photo's. Don't hurry up, do it slowly and precisely.

16. Screw up two screws on case, you can use some Loctite. On this step you can try to rotate motor with fingers and see how smooth it rotate, by this you can feel the difference.

17. Some extra grease on marked places (use something like bicycle chane grease, so it can flow between washers and rods etc.). So motor work even more smoother & more quietly.

18. Put aluminium caps back and you are done. After this i always make tests with 12V battery, check if everything works, if motor rotate well on both directions. Brown cable is Minus (-), black is one direction Plus (+), Green is another direction Plus (+).

In this case/tutorial i didn't made magnets dissasembly because motor was in very good shape and it wasn't needed.

If your motor is in very, very, very, very bad condition and you want to make full disassembly – you just need to also unscrew 4x screws (2x on both sides of motor case (left & right)) and the rest is the same as above. For this you will also need really big flat screwdriver, because this 4x screws stuck there as hell, i'm a big guy and on one of the motors screws i broked screw and screwdriver.

But i can tell you that disassembling of magnets is not needed, because you can clean them withou it, just need more time for this, to make it well!

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thank you Wladek, this is fantastic information. since i have a full (spare) set of regulators + motors that i already cleaned + greased the regulators, i will take the motors out and do the full cleaning.

Wladek

Reaction score
thank you Wladek, this is fantastic information. since i have a full (spare) set of regulators + motors that i already cleaned + greased the regulators, i will take the motors out and do the full cleaning.
I didn't wrote this, but if someone will disassemble the motor as above - maybe it is also time to make outside painting of silver zinc main frame (without aluminium caps).
Steps:
1. Little sanding with 500-1000 sandpaper
2. Degreasing
3. Masking with masking tape all electrical/active/rotating elements/cables etc.
4. Epoxy primer or Zinc primer
5. Silver finish paint

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent write up. Thank you.

I especially like the use of the "drill machine". ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk