Body side molding

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones help on this.

All the fasteners remaining in the trim on mine are the threaded posts, but there are plenty of empty slots in the moldings. I initially thought these were also occupied by threaded posts when the car was new. Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Even though the holes in the body for my trim are welded up as I indicated in the OP, I would be able to get to the back of all fasteners on all 8 pieces of trim.

In looking at my trim, there are 8 slots for fasteners on each piece that go along the side of the trunk, 5 on each rear door piece, 5 on each front door piece, and 8 on each piece that go along the front fender. A total of 52 fasteners needed. I guessed somewhat on how many threaded posts were needed out of the total based on looking at both pieces for the same position on opposite sides of the car and seeing where the threaded posts were even though some were missing on one side but present on the other. Trunk and front fenders would each take 4 threaded posts and each door piece would take 2 (best guess). This would be a total of 24 threaded posts and 28 of some other kind of fastener.

I found these in the pile of parts I got with the car...

IMG_3531.jpeg

I assume these are the other type of fastener used?

Are these and the threaded post fasteners available?

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones help on this.

All the fasteners remaining in the trim on mine are the threaded posts, but there are plenty of empty slots in the moldings. I initially thought these were also occupied by threaded posts when the car was new. Thanks for setting me straight on this.

Even though the holes in the body for my trim are welded up as I indicated in the OP, I would be able to get to the back of all fasteners on all 8 pieces of trim.

In looking at my trim, there are 8 slots for fasteners on each piece that go along the side of the trunk, 5 on each rear door piece, 5 on each front door piece, and 8 on each piece that go along the front fender. A total of 52 fasteners needed. I guessed somewhat on how many threaded posts were needed out of the total based on looking at both pieces for the same position on opposite sides of the car and seeing where the threaded posts were even though some were missing on one side but present on the other. Trunk and front fenders would each take 4 threaded posts and each door piece would take 2 (best guess). This would be a total of 24 threaded posts and 28 of some other kind of fastener.

I found these in the pile of parts I got with the car...

View attachment 80475

I assume these are the other type of fastener used?

Are these and the threaded post fasteners available?
Yes and you may find the little plastic piece that goes in the hole and pushed through after that pieces legs are pushed through the hole. Some times the may be laying in the bottom of the door or trunk areas.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With 14 threaded posts I would expect they are at the ends of the trim pieces: front fender 2, doors 2 each, rear quarter 1 at the rear as you likely cant reach the forward most mount (if it's like a coupe!) The 2002 uses a similar fastening system BTW mixing both types.

Bav3.5

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the clips I purchased new about 2yrs ago from I think Jim at Mesa Performance in Costa Mesa, CA.
The push-in pin mentioned above can be seen in the picture. Also, when i was looking around, some were sold including the thin gasket pictured on the left (which I opted for), and some did not come with this. I think its good to have to 1) better seal out water from the holes hopefully preventing rust. 2) acting as a soft spacer between the clip and the paint, and 3) as someone else mentioned, it makes it easier for the trim to snap onto the clip.
File May 10, 8 51 45 PM.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Bav3.5. I did find some of those in the parts that came with the car.

This is what I think I'm going to do. I'm not going to reopen the holes. They are nicely welded up and the finish body work has been done. I'll paint the car and at some point decide if I can live without the body line molding OR if I really need it on the car. If I need it on the car, I'll attach it with emblem trim tape (just like is done on newer cars)

81uQbywPpUL._SL1500_.jpg

TheNeek

Reaction score
If anyone knows where we can get the rubber backing for the chrome trim please shout-it-out!
Thanks

The rubber is molded on as best I can tell. I have a full set, old stock, and it doesn’t seem to be rubber molding off a roll. I can pull it out and take pictures if you’d like to see it

TheNeek

Reaction score
So I pulled a piece out. It had the rubber pulled away from one of the rounded corners (this looks to be a passenger rear). Pretty easy to press the gasket back on, but you can see that it isn’t stock gasket material off a roll. Before and after are below on one pointed end. The aluminum is a pretty complicated piece with sharp barbs to hold onto the molding. Also took a photo of the door side which is definitely molded to the aluminum trim. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• C86B78D9-75E0-4F00-8C0A-39EBE8BE0117.jpeg
    C86B78D9-75E0-4F00-8C0A-39EBE8BE0117.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 234C5196-0933-4530-BF6B-74D8AD741FF9.jpeg
    234C5196-0933-4530-BF6B-74D8AD741FF9.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 129
  • CB10F143-EEBE-45C8-9C14-66A81A63820C.jpeg
    CB10F143-EEBE-45C8-9C14-66A81A63820C.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 97C50CFF-6E5F-4F66-9BBA-FC583969A9E0.jpeg
    97C50CFF-6E5F-4F66-9BBA-FC583969A9E0.jpeg