Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
coupe_g_1600.png

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like you found your G Wagon after all!
That's my wife's. It's a 2000 Europa, which basically means it's a euro that's been federalized. Wasn't looking but my work ended up with it so I went for it. After learning about them I was impressed so I looked for an older one for me. Found a '79 (first year) with a diesel swap. Very solid frame, runs and drives great but needs a lot of sheet metal work. I'm not scared! ;)

20230127_171045.jpg

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have never seen a first year G in the US. That is really something. I was totally ready to buy a 320GE from an auction in Japan just when COVID hit and all that came to a screeching halt. Really good deals on those can still be had over there. I really want a SWB with the M104 3.2 motor. Even better if it has the AMG version of that motor (yes, a G32 is a legit thing!). Too bad the cabs have gotten so expensive. I love old G-wagens. They have a pretty good forum, too. I have an absolutely zany idea. You could delete all the plastic and rub rails and use the period-correct 16" wheel covers on a set of steel 15" wheels from either the ambulance or a W124 (I think) from that era. Next get yourself some houndstooth or tartan seats.

Here's an ambulance from the same era with the rather uncommon wheel covers.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's cool! I'd love an old G wagon, too. Great looking project
I was a little hesitant when I was working the deal for the '79 because I have too many other things going on right now, but it's just one of those vehicles that makes me smile when I'm in it. It's slow, kinda loud, vibrates at different RPMs. Reminded me of myself. Needs a lot of sheet metal work but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have never seen a first year G in the US. That is really something. I was totally ready to buy a 320GE from an auction in Japan just when COVID hit and all that came to a screeching halt. Really good deals on those can still be had over there. I really want a SWB with the M104 3.2 motor. Even better if it has the AMG version of that motor (yes, a G32 is a legit thing!). Too bad the cabs have gotten so expensive. I love old G-wagens. They have a pretty good forum, too. I have an absolutely zany idea. You could delete all the plastic and rub rails and use the period-correct 16" wheel covers on a set of steel 15" wheels from either the ambulance or a W124 (I think) from that era. Next get yourself some houndstooth or tartan seats.

Here's an ambulance from the same era with the rather uncommon wheel covers.
Mine came with 16" steel wheels so I'll go back to those when I get around to working on it. I'm not a huge fan of the 15" wheels on it.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was a little hesitant when I was working the deal for the '79 because I have too many other things going on right now, but it's just one of those vehicles that makes me smile when I'm in it. It's slow, kinda loud, vibrates at different RPMs. Reminded me of myself. Needs a lot of sheet metal work but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Would rather have a G Wagon than a RR Defender. I‘ll bet it’s great in the snow. Not sure if you got any in Rocklin, but you‘re not far from copious amounts to test it in. ;)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Would rather have a G Wagon than a RR Defender. I‘ll bet it’s great in the snow. Not sure if you got any in Rocklin, but you‘re not far from copious amounts to test it in. ;)
No snow in Rocklin but yes, just 30 minutes away it's fairly deep. My sister lives in Portland and sent me a photo of her front yard covered in snow. She's not a fan. LOL

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally understand that feeling. I daily drove a 74 FJ40 for years and the only reason I don't have it anymore is that it got totaled..:-(. My favorite vehicle I've ever owned, out of 20-25, maybe? Slow, loud, bounce your teeth out, but I'd kill to still have it... It's the only vehicle I've owned that I'd say is 'me', if that makes sense.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally understand that feeling. I daily drove a 74 FJ40 for years and the only reason I don't have it anymore is that it got totaled..:-(. My favorite vehicle I've ever owned, out of 20-25, maybe? Slow, loud, bounce your teeth out, but I'd kill to still have it... It's the only vehicle I've owned that I'd say is 'me', if that makes sense.
The guy I bought it from owned it for over 10 years and got hit in the side and knocked it over. Insurance totaled it and he kept it because he loved it so much. He didn't have a job at the time and couldn't fix it but held onto it for a year and a half until his friend that was storing it talked him into selling it. It had incomplete paperwork so a lot of people would've been turned off by that but I deal with it every day.

I want to park next to the new G63 at Nordstrom just because. :)

20230127_171108.jpg