BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan

Alice Couper

Reaction score
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-motorsport-founder-jochen-neerpasch-drives-30-csl-on-the-transfagarasan-138023.html

If it weren’t for that Top Gear special episode with and about Romania, few people outside the Eastern European country would’ve found out about the wonderful road known as the Transfagarasan. For those who forgot about the mountain road crossing the Carpathian Mountains, BMW of Romania got Jochen Neerpasch there behind the wheel of a 3.0 CSL.

43 photos
BMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the TransfagarasanBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu TuţăBMW Motorsport Founder Jochen Neerpasch Drives 3.0 CSL On the Transfagarasan / Mihai Barbu; Radu Tuţă

First and foremost, the car is a perfect replica of the original Batmobile, built upon an E9 donor vehicle. Outfitted with a 3.4-liter engine, the 3.0 CSL has more than 300 horsepower to offer from the M30 straight-six boasting a cast-iron block, aluminum head, and SOHC valvetrain.

Neerpasch has also tested the M5, M5 Competition, M2, and Z4 M40i on the second-highest paved road in Romania, but the 3.0 CSL is the one he’d take for a Sunday drive. The reason is simple given this man’s experience in professional racing and go-faster BMWs.

Born in 1939, the former racing driver started out with Borgward in the 1960s. Jochen leveled up to a Porsche 907 to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1964, then won the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1968. His biggest break came in the 1970s when he took Hans-Joachim “Strietzel” Stuck to BMW to found the motorsports division and engineering company.

BMW Motorsport GmbH came out with the 3.0 CSL under the leadership of Neerpasch, introduced in 1972 as a homologation special. No more than 1,265 were built, and CSL stands for coupe, sport, and leichtbau for lightweight. Probably the finest M there’s ever been, the Batmobile also happens to be one of the most visceral to drive on public roads.

BMW of Romania mentions that Jochen didn’t drive a competition-ready 3.0 CSL in more than 40 years, making the Transfagarasan experience all the more memorable for the 80-year-old legend. On that note, all there’s left to do now is to press play, take in the man’s story, and enjoy the ride!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
thanks for the link... but a bit dramaticed… as if he didn't drove a 300+ hp car in 40 years... hhahaha

A well set race car E9 with a good 300HP must have been so much more easy to drive "fast" than a oem modern M5 with 500 HP... dubbel that quick o_O :D

Yannick

Reaction score
A shame... yes... really a shame to see people like J. Neerpasch playing this kind of poor game

1570616126801.png

The car isn't a CSL, just a poor replica and he ( the father of the CSL ) accepts to play this poor, dirty, tasteless game.

Same thing with HJ Stuck : A couple of months ago he was invited ( and accepted with pleasure ) to play same kind
of game in a very poor, pimp my ride and tasteless German pseudo Classic car magazine, driving a very poor and sad
3.0 CSL replica.

I really felt sad for him ... and I feel sad for J. Neerpasch too ...

What did happen to these people, what brought them that down, why did they regress to accept playing this kind
of game ?!

They were icons but seem ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist ... What a tragedy.

CSteve

Reaction score
A shame... yes... really a shame to see people like J. Neerpasch playing this kind of poor game

View attachment 77912

The car isn't a CSL, just a poor replica and he ( the father of the CSL ) accepts to play this poor, dirty, tasteless game.

Same thing with HJ Stuck : A couple of months ago he was invited ( and accepted with pleasure ) to play same kind
of game in a very poor, pimp my ride and tasteless German pseudo Classic car magazine, driving a very poor and sad
3.0 CSL replica.

What did happen to these people, what brought them that down, why did they regress to accept playing this kind
of game ?!

They were icons but seem ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist ... What a tragedy.

View attachment 77912

3.0 CSL replica.

of game ?!

Yannick, the answer, in my view(I avoid the IMHO phrase lacking in said humility) is found in your words, "...ready to accept any background role to prove they still exist."

And so we see really famous, I mean world famous, actors and actresses, politicians, CEOs who have become celebrities, and others begging for roles in Grade B movies, shilling insurance and colas, doing humiliating embarrassing things to get their aging selves out there. When your addiction is applause and "recognition" you have to get your fix somewhere. And most do NOT need the money.

There lies the tragedy.

Steve

PS: I do think a couple of your words were a little harsh. But honestly, I have used harsher in a couple of posts too.