BMW M6 and BMW 3.0 CSL

pmansson

Reaction score
As strange as Top Gear´s test between the modern CSL and "our" CSL

In the German article, one poster suggests, quite interestingly and more relevant, a test between "our" CSL and a current 200 HP BMW coupe in the 3 or 5 series.
Just imagine that, where the modern car has another 300-400 kg to pull along.....(perhaps more. I don´t know and care for the modern ones, and therefore don´t know what they weigh).

shanon

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Yannik.

Nice looking coupe. Bumpers-less and non-air-dammed noses of coupes have a nice, clean simple look.

After looking at the pics of the two generations side by side, I have to say the 'elder' is still the better looking car. (Even after trying very hard not to have a unbiased opinion.) I think it has to do with the trunk/tail lines (wonder which generation 'holds ' more stuff?)... and maybe that 'shark' front end.

Not trying to be a 'retro-crouch', but modern cars (as a whole) seem to be loosing (lost?) certain 'design elegance'. Modern machines as a whole, have a visual bulk to them that I know is derived from aero and safety evolutions and regulations.

I am waiting for all the auto makers to arrive at same the 'ultimate' aero and safety (there can only be one ultimately) shape/design. I bet it already exhists on or in the computer/wind tunnel/crash labs, and then move on to creating unique designs.

Everything is starting to look the same: like a mutated, squished 'Accord' with fat tires.

Alright everyone, my caffeinated design critique over, everyone back to work....

;-)
-shanon

pmansson

Reaction score
The beutiful rear end of the E9

Agree with you Shanon!
We think of the E9 as a 1969-1975 car, but everything aft of the front wheels date back to 1965 and the 2000CS. BMW´s own people (Hofmeister & Co) redesigned the front in 1968 to accomodate the longer 6cyl engine and in doing so, created this agressive, shark like front that we know and admire.

As you say, we have the very elegant rear end with those beautiful tail lights and the agressive front, and a most elegant roof in between, with the best all round view in any closed car, ever produced.

NB I have an E-type, which is beautiful in its own way, and although it appeared in 1961 (just 4 years before our coupe), it is nowhere near as pleasant to drive, let alone all the issues from a quality perspective. All this is very subjective, and most E-type owners will not agree of course....

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I view the E9 shape as benefiting from the Italian phenomenon that my in law calls "su mesura" or made-to-measure. There are still Italian designers in Italy and consumers with good taste, what is lost is the business model of making cars in really small scale, to order, putting out so many variants accelerates natural selection.

There are too many cars made globally for too many people.

Last edited:

Erik

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice photos. Especially the cloud-scape backdrop to the side by side of the two cars. The solo shot of the rear of the csl makes the car look positively tiny...

Echoing some of the comments here, the modern car lacks the lightness and design verve of the e9, but I have to admit that it does look a tad safer for a 100mph, 100 mile road trip.

Thanks for sharing.