BMW 2500 Heads Cross Country

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter Gleeson posted an article from Jalopnik(sp) about two guys delivering a ratty(sorry) 2500 from Seattle to as close to the East Coast as they can get.

Starting with the title, the article is funny and knowing.

Take a look.

Steve

Honolulu

Reaction score
Got a link? I went to Jalopnik and couldn't find anything. I had a 2500 sedan with auto trans and no PS for a couple years, way back when. Sold it for what I paid, got a tii.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Patrick George. Peter driving any one of his BMW’s across the country would make for a good read.

https://jalopnik.com/we-re-taking-this-1970-bmw-2500-from-seattle-to-new-yor-1829783696
What's the big deal? Pray for us? You got to be kidding me - gas that mofo up and drive! I ran my E3 6500 miles on a trip into Queretaro, Mexico last year and had no problems at all save for a flat tire.
Mike, was your MoFo in the same "tiptop" condition as the specimen we are talking about?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
Mike, was your MoFo in the same "tiptop" condition as the specimen we are talking about?

Mine's a 72 with hundreds of thousands of miles on it and I keep it maintained as a daily driver. I am fully aware of minor problems I have so I fueled it up and left for Laredo. I had changed my carbs to some Chinese 38's two days before so I wondered about how they would perform. I threw a full size 235/45/17/spare tire in the trunk just in case, and in Texas it came into play.

I read this guys "trouble" list and there's nothing on there that would really concern me.

If the fuel pump is wired oddly - fix it. Connect the wire to something that will work.
If the carburetor linkage is flimsy - take it easy on it.
If the fuel gauge is flaky - use your phone and map apps to see how far you've traveled. Any time you stop, fill it up.
The temp gauge is not accurate - it should be relatively accurate. Given that this community largely reports engine temperature as a time of day, 4 o'clock is hotter than 3.
Heater doesn't work? Layer up. Wear warm socks.
Wipers? If they go up and down, there's new blades available.
Only one key works? How many do you need?

Other than that, we’re told the Bavaria is solid: smooth, tough and German, with a fine ride, good brakes, healthy tires, new CV boots, no leaks and, weirdly, seats transplanted from some newer Acura.

Sounds like mine, except I have Subaru seats and some other odd parts.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes they are a bit dramatic

What's the big deal? Pray for us? You got to be kidding me - gas that mofo up and drive! I ran my E3 6500 miles on a trip into Queretaro, Mexico last year and had no problems at all save for a flat tire.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
New owner Clay is a really good guy from the 02 genepool.
Mike, my impression, and it's only an impression, is that they would get off the plane, fill the tank and head out. No time to even put another coat of RainX on.
And yes, they are more than competent. But even an atheist like me can sometimes need some prayer. Who knows?

lloyd

Reaction score
Mine's a 72 with hundreds of thousands of miles on it and I keep it maintained as a daily driver. I am fully aware of minor problems I have so I fueled it up and left for Laredo. I had changed my carbs to some Chinese 38's two days before so I wondered about how they would perform. I threw a full size 235/45/17/spare tire in the trunk just in case, and in Texas it came into play.

I read this guys "trouble" list and there's nothing on there that would really concern me.

If the fuel pump is wired oddly - fix it. Connect the wire to something that will work.
If the carburetor linkage is flimsy - take it easy on it.
If the fuel gauge is flaky - use your phone and map apps to see how far you've traveled. Any time you stop, fill it up.
The temp gauge is not accurate - it should be relatively accurate. Given that this community largely reports engine temperature as a time of day, 4 o'clock is hotter than 3.
Heater doesn't work? Layer up. Wear warm socks.
Wipers? If they go up and down, there's new blades available.
Only one key works? How many do you need?

Tongue-in-cheek adventure. Close, . . . but not exactly the stuff of Lindbergh, Stanley and Livingstone, Hiram Bingham, Lovell, Swigert and Haise, etc.

Good idea to use reliable maps and stick to well marked roads.
13902551_1795275807384488_3010044980447334098_n.jpg

17425102_1904581573120577_6035230150299002798_n.jpg

16473236_1880722055506529_3527614613292695954_n.jpg

car+de+oakie+cargado+parado+en+la+desolada+carretera+del+desierto+del+sur+da+california+march+37.jpg

uxzzswt2ec3zyoadsuji.jpg

tmwmb8nnykzlca34yk9q.jpg
bqlena7i0rkbldacqmjq.jpg

Spirit_of_St_Louis_Fueling.jpg

Lindbergh.jpg

1973-bmw-bavaria-interior.jpg

Last edited:

KirkT

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love that city.

Not much of a surprise ending to the article....nothing happened and the M30 ran like a charm.