Blinker Issue: Relay vs.Stalk

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
My right blinker works fine, left one will come on for a second then go out. No blinking. This came and went for a few years and now is permanent. I did the solid state upgrade on my E9 and am going to do it for the Bav but that is months away. Any opinions on relay vs. the stalk? I will get the answer when I do the upgrade but inquisitive minds wanna know........and are impatient.

jmackro

Reaction score
You didn't make clear which car is giving you the issue: the one with the e-flasher, or the one with the mechanical flasher?

If it's the one with the e-flasher, then it's probably not the flasher. They tend to be pretty reliable. Then too, it's probably not the stalk switch. Hard to believe that a flakey switch would behave that consistently; e.g., always come on for a second then go out with no blinking.

If it's the one with the mechanical flasher, then it's probably because the lights, sockets and wiring on the left have more/less resistance than the circuit on the right. Mechanical flashers are very sensitive to this, so replacing the m-flasher with an e-flasher will probably solve it. I doubt it's the stalk if it behaves consistently. But a diagnostic would be to switch the stalk to the left, wiggle the lever, and see if it behaves any differently. Or spray in some contact cleaner, and see if it behaves any differently. My guess is that it won't.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the lines between the E3 and E9 sites have blurred. I put it here casue it was the E3 with the issue with its mechanical relay ( which in a way, is quite a unique piece of engineering). I have till Nov to get it working when inspection is due so will swap to solid state before then and see what's up.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Do you get the same click and hold, followed by a release when you turn the wheel, on both sides?