Bilstein decoder

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your valued assistance if you will. Trying to decode the various Bilstein front strut model numbers. I have seen HD, Sport, B6, even a "Comfort" strut by Bilstein mentioned here. I probably still have my originals and wonder when new, what currently available Bilstein they would most likely resemble regards ride quality.
I see Sachs has a model number listed for the E9, but haven't seen any offered. So, if anyone can explain where each strut option falls along the continuum of original ride to race setup, please fill me in. Thanks, Mike

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, let me ask this another way. Who has replaced front struts? What did you use? How do these new ones compare to what you had? Why did you select these? Is the ride better? Too firm? No difference?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It was just a while ago that Bilstein changed their inventory/ catalogue numbers
All new numbers now.
Bilstein can make you anything you want custom
Old ones are upside down and then we got right side up
H&B sells their own custom set of Bilstein
Most folks go with Bilstein HD
Many folks do not like white KYB
Lots of people would like the
IMG_5497.JPG
Alpina versions
Some people remember the adjustable red shocks from Koni
And don't forget Boge
And walloth carries the "Sports"

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suspect there may be better choices than the Bilsteins we're currently being fed but it will take some digging and testing to change the direction of the herd. After a few conversations with people I trust I'm more convinced than ever that they are less than optimum.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was just a while ago that Bilstein changed their inventory/ catalogue numbers
All new numbers now.
Bilstein can make you anything you want custom
Old ones are upside down and then we got right side up
H&B sells their own custom set of Bilstein
Most folks go with Bilstein HD
Many folks do not like white KYB
Lots of people would like theView attachment 29520 Alpina versions
Some people remember the adjustable red shocks from Koni
And don't forget Boge
And walloth carries the "Sports"
Thank Don, this helps a lot. I have also found a Sachs part number 0005363, but perhaps that is also Boge?
Years ago while driving my Coupe through one of those giant cedar trees in Northern California (I know, crazy bucket list stuff ;)) a rear shock broke, replaced on the same trip with KYB. Yes they are white, but have been fine for me.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I suspect there may be better choices than the Bilsteins we're currently being fed but it will take some digging and testing to change the direction of the herd. After a few conversations with people I trust I'm more convinced than ever that they are less than optimum.
Right, that's the thing. Have heard anecdotally that some have replaced originals with struts that at least at the beginning, feel way to firm, and have regrets. I am just wondering if everything else is original or has many miles on the associated parts, then new extra firm struts are installed, it may be a "shock" to the rest of the system, Pardon the pun :)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Forgive me for piggybacking this. I have a set of Upside Downs that I want rebuilt. Has anyone done this recently? I fear they will have no data and just ship back to me as I called Bilstein Tech line and they had no record of the shock.