*** READ THIS! BEWARE OF SCAMMERS - They will contact you through private message or email

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
THE SCAM:
You post a message looking for a part. A WTB ad. Someone contacts you through a private message or an email and says "name or email" has the part and you should contact them. When you contact them they will usually show you photos of what you're looking for that they found online somewhere. You pay them and they're gone.

Unless the person contacting you is a known user on this forum with a reasonable history SUSPECT EVERYONE and send me a message immediately.

Lately I've been turning away several scam account each week. I try my best to keep this place safe but there will be times that they get through so everyone needs to be aware and vigilant.

If you don't know the person you're sending money to DO NOT SENT "FRIENDS OR FAMILY" on Paypal or Venmo. It's not guaranteed and you have no recourse.

Thanks for reading!

Dan
@dang

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Would it be possible to implement some kind of double confirmation of the account/member before it will be possible for her/him to sell anything here?

Having fb and eBay they can sell there and E9 parts are demanded typically wherever they will be listed.
I know some forums require PayPal or other kind of identity confirmation.
I'm against new members I am but in current days fraud become a way of living for many which was not visible on such a scale in the past.

Maybe there is some other, less painful way of ID verification which would help further to (except stolen account of course - not an easy case)?

Any ideas?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Dan. A sad commentary on the world we all have to live in. I recommend if you don't know the seller reach out to the lifers on this board or anywhere else. After being scammed twice on boards that are well established I now do my own "Backround Check" on anyone I don't have a past with.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a used Saab part but didn’t PayPal the money until I saw a pic of the USPS receipt showing my address and the tracking #. I hope that is sufficient, but reading about all the crap going on nowadays, one has to wonder…

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I bought a used Saab part but didn’t PayPal the money until I saw a pic of the USPS receipt showing my address and the tracking #. I hope that is sufficient, but reading about all the crap going on nowadays, one has to wonder…
As a seller, would YOU be comfortable shipping an item without first getting payment? I wouldn't be.

BTW, the seller can produce USPS (or UPS or FedEx) shipping docs including the receipt and tracking number at home to show you, BUT that doesn't mean they actually shipped the item.

As a buyer, PayPal is one of the safest ways to pay (as long as you don't use "Friends and Family"). An extra charge is added to the seller on shipments of merchandise. This acts as insurance. PayPal can refund your payment out of this "insurance fund" in a case of fraud.

Using a credit card is probably the safest way to pay when that is an option.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
As a buyer, PayPal is one of the safest ways to pay (as long as you don't use "Friends and Family").
I just ordered some clear coat and hardener off of a website that I haven't used before and I'm crossing my fingers. I researched it as best I could but could only find info and reviews that seemed too clean. It was sites that can be controlled, not public forums, so I don't trust it as much. I used paypal so I should be okay, but it's not very straight forward these days.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just ordered some clear coat and hardener off of a website that I haven't used before and I'm crossing my fingers. I researched it as best I could but could only find info and reviews that seemed too clean. It was sites that can be controlled, not public forums, so I don't trust it as much. I used paypal so I should be okay, but it's not very straight forward these days.
You're doubly covered if you have a CC linked to your PayPal account and use that for a PP payment. Still a crap shoot, however. :(

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
As a seller, would YOU be comfortable shipping an item without first getting payment? I wouldn't be.

BTW, the seller can produce USPS (or UPS or FedEx) shipping docs including the receipt and tracking number at home to show you, BUT that doesn't mean they actually shipped the item.

As a buyer, PayPal is one of the safest ways to pay (as long as you don't use "Friends and Family"). An extra charge is added to the seller on shipments of merchandise. This acts as insurance. PayPal can refund your payment out of this "insurance fund" in a case of fraud.

Using a credit card is probably the safest way to pay when that is an option.
Right, I usually ask for PayPal payment before I ship Especially for big ticket items. But I figure if someone produces a USPS receipt he had to have gone to the PO and shipped the parts.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
Someone can produce a USPS label, send you the tracking number and then just get a refund on an unused label. Oftentimes the USPS service is faster than the tracking so it could be delivered and still say “label created awaiting shipment.”

I have just gotten to the point I don’t trust anyone anywhere online unless I know them personally or know of them. 90% of Facebook classified ads are either scams or people with fake names that turn off comments.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd say 80% of small time shippers produce the shipping labels, tracking numbers, receipts online at home. The USPS, UPS, etc will even pick up at your house. Discounts are usually available for shippers who do this. The PO saves money by reducing staff at the PO. Bigger shippers 100%
Oy vey..I liked the old days when I could just go to a parts store or a dealer and just buy stuff I needed. Wifey keeps telling me it’s the Wild West out there (internet land)…

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oy vey..I liked the old days when I could just go to a parts store or a dealer and just buy stuff I needed. Wifey keeps telling me it’s the Wild West out there (internet land)…
Yes, like the joke about the guy reminiscing he could go to the store carrying just 10 dollars and bring back 20 items. But now there is cameras everywhere...