bellhousing questions

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
More questions as I assemble; I got over anxious and put the engine in the car without (re)dropping the sub-frame and mating the trans up and putting it in as one unit. Now the questions-

When I went to put up the trans (5-speed) the bell housing did not look right so I separated it from the transmission (4 bolts) and mounted it first, with all the internals, T.O.B., etc. It actually fit well, but the holes used to attach the auto trans were left empty and the new bell housing matched up with some holes not used by the auto trans. Is this normal?

Next, is it relatively easy to just slide the transmission in with the bell housing on the engine, or should I take it off and put it in as a complete unit. The only potential problem (that I can see) would be the T.O.B. slipping off.

Thanks

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I didn't have a big problem installing the trans while the engine and bellhousing were in the car. It was much easier (due to my setup) than trying to install the full engine+trans combination.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Because you install a tranny with the tranny
support off- the engine and tranny are
tilted down towards the rear. Gravity keeps
the T.O bearing in place.
That said a wise wrench always takes a last
peek to make sure all is well before bolting
things up!
Use a fresh pilot bearing and a gram of grease
behind it too..

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK- Thanks

Thanks Don and Atlas! That was what I was hoping to hear. I will post some pics when I'm done in the expectation that it may be helpful to others.

Peter C